PDA

View Full Version : New to Revit

boofredlay
2006-03-13, 09:13 PM
Hello all.

I am a long time AutoCAD / SketchUp user as well as a Short time DataCAD user.

Our firm is considering Revit and 3 of us are testing it out.
I have downloaded the demo version as well as found quite a few online tutorials (Free and pay) that I am currently going through. (the free ones now).
I found those here:
http://www.dgcad.com/

My question(s) to you:

What is the best way to get started with Revit? Anything I should be trying other than what I have listed?

Thanks for any help.

Eric

patricks
2006-03-13, 09:20 PM
The most helpful thing for me when I was a new user was going through the tutorials included with the program. We just printed out the whole thing (900+ pages), and then I started at the beginning, where it starts you out actually making a model of a building. Then after that, it goes into more detail on various items like floors, roofs, windows, doors, etc. After that, it goes into more advanced detail on things like site, families, structure, etc.

IMHO that's the best way to do it. Since I have been with this firm, we have had a couple of employees who just kind of muddled around in projects, not doing the tutorials, and generally causing problems that I would have to fix later. This is not the way to do it. If you do the tutorials, and specifically start at the beginning where it walks you through the entire process of making a somewhat simple building model (very very important IMHO), you should be good to go.

SkiSouth
2006-03-13, 10:26 PM
I lived out of the tutorial book for the first five months. Couldn't even figure out how to draw a line after downloading. It is very important that you at least do the simple construct a building tutorial. The family editor, rendering etc can wait, but there is such a change in thinking required from Autocad ( I was 20 years into Autocad before Revit - started in 1983) that the change in thinking was the hardest part. Congrats on your decision - I don't believe you will regret it. Post all you questions, someone here will help or point to where to find the answer. A few tutorials are on AUGI too, just be sure to expand the dates to see them all under the Tutorial page.

tc3dcad60731
2006-03-13, 10:27 PM
I am happy to see you move from the Dark Side of the Force!

Patricks said it best. We sent off for the demo and went straight to upgrading and getting on subscription. The tutorials is the absolute BEST way and then take advantage of the subscription center tutorials too! Also, Paul Aubin has a book that is sure to be great!

kparks140020
2006-03-13, 11:19 PM
Yes, tutorials is the best way to get started. With patience and practice, the change to Revit should be painless. Using this forum is also a good source of information for any questions.
Welcome. The milk is good and the honey is sweet.

davidcobi
2006-03-13, 11:42 PM
I went through the tutorials that came with Revit first. The office started me on a project that was new from the ground up (I learned how to do remodels using phases later). In the beginning I developed a few 3D models with Revit for clients that were willing to pay to see 3D models.

After a few months I learned more about phases, worksets, and developing condocs.

boofredlay
2006-03-14, 05:16 PM
We have the opportunity to hear from a large firm using Revit next week. A mini presentation if you will.
Also, an hour away there are training centers. We would most likely use the training centers for a few of us, then we can "spread the wealth".

Looking at these free videos, I am thinking that using SketchUp in our office might diminish after we fully integrate Revit.

johnf.77896
2006-03-14, 05:33 PM
We went to a free hands on demo that our reseller put on ( Taylor Technologies, inc. ) and then went from there to tutorials and then also a 2 day class. Not to mention fooling around with it at lunch time. Some things seem to make more sense watching someone else do it first, for me anyways.

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.