PDA

View Full Version : Wall constraints constraining...

whf
2006-03-13, 09:21 PM
Hi all. I am working on cleaning up a model that was provided by an outside source and is completely cheesed up. The issue that I am having is with walls moving with each other. The original model is drawn with the first floor walls not at all lining up with the stem walls. When I grab a wall and try to move it to realign with the lower stem wall, the stem wall moves too and thus is still out-of-line. Is there a way to turn off this constraint temporarily? I am trying to avoid having to redraw everything. Thanks!

Bill

rodneyf
2006-03-13, 09:54 PM
Bill,
Real quick before I head out the door select the wall in question then select the move tool command towards the top and the in the option bar select disjoin and that should get you what you want. Hope that helps.

iru69
2006-03-14, 02:11 AM
The issue that I am having is with walls moving with each other.
Yes, this happens, and it can be unbelievably frustrating. You can try every trick offered (it would be great to compile a list here) - and sometimes one will work - and sometimes nothing will work short of physically separating a wall from another or deleting it. Not sure if it's a bug, or simply designed that way with unintended consequences.

cphubb
2006-03-14, 05:46 PM
Yes, this happens, and it can be unbelievably frustrating. You can try every trick offered (it would be great to compile a list here) - and sometimes one will work - and sometimes nothing will work short of physically separating a wall from another or deleting it. Not sure if it's a bug, or simply designed that way with unintended consequences.

Its not a bug its a feature! LOL. I agree that this can be very frustrating. Our experience is the move with disjoin checked is the best and works 99.9 percent of the time.
The big learning curve with Revit is moving anything effects anything adjacent. We have learned to be very careful about arbitrarily moving things without first looking to see what they affect.

kpaxton
2006-03-14, 07:40 PM
Its not a bug its a feature! LOL. I agree that this can be very frustrating. Our experience is the move with disjoin checked is the best and works 99.9 percent of the time. The big learning curve with Revit is moving anything effects anything adjacent. We have learned to be very careful about arbitrarily moving things without first looking to see what they affect.
Yes, and all the while.. while you're paying attention to this wall and it's companion footing... you don't notice that this wall is tied (via dimension lock) to the wall opposite on the other side of the room, and the wall after that... and the next too... So you move the wall but don't notice the other side of the project is now off... until way later.

Disjoin is your friend in this instance.

Kyle :D

whf
2006-04-06, 03:40 PM
Thanks! Unfortunately, I finished the model before reading this posting again...but I have 19 more to do with the same issues! While we're at it, It would be a really nice feature if there were a little text window in the corner or something that would tell you how many other entities were modified with your most recent move, if it is more than just the thing you modified directly...just a thought.

Bill

3dsketcher
2006-08-03, 07:49 PM
i agree. so frustrating. i've been adjusting walls for hours and something always goes wrong.

ill keep in mind the unjoin option in move. revit is not going to win converts with this one! :)

neb1998
2006-08-03, 08:05 PM
one easy fix for this is to apply a top offset to the level below, or a bottom offset to the level in question of about 1'-0" - move all your walls that keep causing walls below to move, when this is done you can change the constraint back down to normal so that there is no gap.

3dsketcher
2006-08-03, 08:13 PM
actually mine is on the same floor. ive split a lot of my walls because of different sweep/wainscoat conditions and had to lock alignments on different faces. but whenever i have to move something, i would have to 'unlock' to complete the alignment of succeeding walls.

sometimes, if i had locked wall dimensions on a long string of walls, instead of pushing everything on the dimension that is not locked, it would break somewhere in between and unlock it by itself. :(

cphubb
2006-08-03, 09:14 PM
As a rule of thumb we do not lock dimensions from wall to wall. It causes real problems down the road. We will often lock (and pin) levels grids reference planes and then associate a wall with those items. It is easy to see what walls are associated with and instead of the entire model moving when I make a closet wider, I get a constraint error, look to see what is causing the problem fix and everything is fine.

Keep in mind (this is a feature) if you had a wall with 50 segments for different materials you would need to move all 50 pieces by themselves and re-align the faces. The developers were trying to make the software more intelligent, but I agreer the moving takes some practice and knowledge.