PDA

View Full Version : Octagonal Roof

max
2006-03-13, 10:43 PM
I am trying to do a hip roof on an octagonal shaped room. I just get a message that the roof from foot print can't be made. Two of the walls of the room are exterior walls and are 6" thick. The rest of the walls are 4". When I change the two 6" walls to 4", I am able to complete the roof. Can someone tell me how to do thw roof with the two 6" walls?

Thanks

Max

zanzibarbob7
2006-03-13, 11:48 PM
Max,

You might post something to work with. I just made an octagon shaped room w/6" wall, changed two adjacent walls to 4" and had no problem making a roof by footprint

sjsl
2006-03-14, 12:05 AM
Make sure when creating a roof that you DO NOT mix pick by walls and create by lines, you will get problems. It's one or the other.

max
2006-03-14, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the comments. I don't know what was wrong, but I changed the two 6" walls to 4" walls, made my roof, then changed the walls back to 6".

Thanks

Max

Max Lloyd
2006-03-14, 03:42 PM
Hi Max,

my money would have been on mis-aligned eaves. Try again, this time hit the align eaves button before trying to complete the sketch. 9 times out of 10 when a footprint roof won't create, its the eaves alignment at fault.

Great name by the way!

Max.

max
2006-03-14, 06:31 PM
Thanks Max

Max

patricks
2006-03-14, 06:42 PM
I could have sworn that previous versions would actually tell you in the error message that the eaves weren't aligned. Now it just gives you a general error message "I can't do it blah" :roll:

Would be nice if it would actually tell us that the eaves are mis-aligned so it will be more intuitive how to fix it.

Max Lloyd
2006-03-14, 10:34 PM
I get the impression that revit is hitting its 'teenage years'. It used to be so cute and eloquent. Now, even though you know it can do stuff, it just grunts, shuts the door and leaves you to figure it out.