PDA

View Full Version : Plan Options

ChristinaB
2006-03-14, 12:00 AM
Does anyone out there know of a way to show different plan options w/in one project? For example is it possible to have a project showing a 2 car garage w/ the option of a 3 car garage, or would it be best just to have two separate projects?

Any incite would be appreciated.

Does Revit have an equivalent to autolisp? Am I dreaming?

Thanks,

Chris

sjsl
2006-03-14, 12:02 AM
You can use Design Options. But I typically create another project.

No lisp thank God!

kpaxton
2006-03-14, 01:00 PM
Does anyone out there know of a way to show different plan options w/in one project? For example is it possible to have a project showing a 2 car garage w/ the option of a 3 car garage, or would it be best just to have two separate projects?
Any incite would be appreciated.
Does Revit have an equivalent to autolisp? Am I dreaming?
Thanks,
Chris Chris,
Yes, this is Highly possible. As a matter of fact, I do this ALL the time as this is a big selling feature for our clients. Design Options is the feature you will be using to do this, so do some reading within the Help files and do a search here on AUGI - you'll find plenty. If you have more questions, just ask! (and no... you don't have to create a separate file for each - but that's a matter of choice and depends on how 'involved' the project/file gets).

There are not Autolisp-like features available, however - there is the Revit API. This allows programmers to take advantage of the Interface. I'm not knowledgable of these features or how this works so I won't comment.

I'm pretty happy with the way Revit works and with the features I have available to "customize" (with things like Views, Detail levels, Advanced Model Graphics, etc), there's not that I'd like to have customized... but then again... that's why we have a Wish List Forum!! :D

Regards,
Kyle

DoTheBIM
2006-03-14, 03:00 PM
Maybe I misunderstood or over read into the question... but to expand on the previous responses. If you want to show both the two car and the three car option in one project, you can link the base project with the options into another "overall" project (for lack of a better word).... TWICE or however many times you have a different option to show. then you can control the option in the individual liked files seperately to show different options in the same sheets side by side or however you like.

Neat stuff IMO. Hope that helps. Need more details? just ask away.

kpaxton
2006-03-14, 03:05 PM
Maybe I misunderstood or over read into the question... but to expand on the previous responses. If you want to show both the two car and the three car option in one project, you can link the base project with the options into another "overall" project (for lack of a better word).... TWICE or however many times you have a different option to show. then you can control the option in the individual liked files seperately to show different options in the same sheets side by side or however you like.
Neat stuff IMO. Hope that helps. Need more details? just ask away.
J,
Sorry to burst your bubble man...;) but there is no need to do what you've described. The only time I would do that would be if the two projects were just that... meant to be two different projects.

Currently I can do everything you just described in ONE project, without conflicts and show the different views on one sheet (i.e. 2-car vs. 3-car). You could take these options all the way through CD's if you wanted to.

Regards,
Kyle

residarchitect
2006-03-14, 08:03 PM
I agree with Kyle,

Its so much better to use Design Options then 2+ files. For the garage in
question, you could have 2 overall options to deal with a 2 car option and
a three car option. Another set would be different roof options hip, gable, shed, etc
Another set would be door options 3 single doors for the three car, or
a 16' wide door and a 8 or 9' wide door for the three car option. one with
side doors another without, etc etc etc.

I frequently give my clients a smorgasbord of options and they select what
items they want and don't want. When they are done, all I do is delete the
parts they don't want and accept the design options that they do.

When I tried the smorgasbord approach in Autocad, it was way to much
work. Because some options they liked were in one set of drawings and others
were in another set of drawings.

The main concept you need to understand in design options is that
you can not share elements in different options. Example, if you
wanted to give the client a three separate door option and a two door
option for the three car garage, then the wall housing the doors is
drawn each time separately (you can copy one of the options and then
modify it) but it is two separate walls not the same wall.

Thats why it is so easy to collapse the model from smorgasbord
to what the clients finally accept.

Hope that helps you decide which way will work for you.

DoTheBIM
2006-03-15, 06:37 PM
J,
Sorry to burst your bubble man...;) but there is no need to do what you've described. The only time I would do that would be if the two projects were just that... meant to be two different projects.

Currently I can do everything you just described in ONE project, without conflicts and show the different views on one sheet (i.e. 2-car vs. 3-car). You could take these options all the way through CD's if you wanted to.

Regards,
Kyle
No bubble to burst. i've only been playing around with Revit for about a week or so. I haven't even applied options to anything yet, just bouncing around in them trying things out. I wasn't aware that they could be applied in the same project at the same time. Definately good to know and applies to what we do very much. I went back in and played a bit with them in a single file. I had to create an additional duplicate view for each view I wanted to apply the second option in. Seems like a bad idea to duplicate things, but I got nothing to swear at it that I don't like. Thanks for the correction... I was indeed playing with townhouses on my previous suggestion so that is where I was misleading chrisb (I like to think of it as lack of experience for now ;))

Scott D Davis
2006-03-15, 09:14 PM
It's going to be accomplished with different views. You can start with a floor plan with "option 1" enabled. Duplicate the view, and call it Floor Plan Option 2, and then in that view, turn on Option 2 instead of 1.

Each View (Floor Plan Option 1, and Floor Plan Option 2) will go onto sheets.