PDA

View Full Version : Best Practices/Good Tutorial for Drafting?

cparsons
2006-03-15, 03:11 AM
Hi all,

I got this e-mail from one of our Revit users -

"I'm having a hard time finding a tutorial on drafting techniques. Would be nice to have some of the autocad basics, like multiple trim/extend, etc. -- what are the best Revit drafting practices?"

I checked AU 2005, the AOTC content, and searched on AUGI and did not quite come across what he is looking for. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Chris

Merlin
2006-03-15, 09:12 AM
Not quite sure whta he's after but from personal experience I would advise 2 things:
* Forget about "translating" REVIT into AutoCAD terms as it will only limit how you do things. The drafting necessities are still there but don't try to think of them in terms of AutoCAD.

* Rule no.1 should be draw it as you would build it. i.e. if in doubt, what would be the order of thing on-site?...start with an existing phase...then a Grid...etc

John Mc

aaronrumple
2006-03-15, 02:33 PM
Place detail families.
Make new parametric families when need.
Use repeating details.
Use filled regions and linework spairingly.
Make detail groups of linework and filled regions.

Detail drawing is less about drafting in Revit than placing componets.

jjjschoeman
2006-03-15, 02:48 PM
best is to model the details in a seperate family and load it in then you have it in 3d sections and any view.

make your own library, in the begining it takes long but at least you have it then.

cparsons
2006-03-15, 03:49 PM
hi all,

one little clarification. i think he's looking for something a llittle less focused on detailing and more on drafting and modeling using the tools that come with revit. like the best ways to use the offset, array, trim, to your advantage wile drafting or modeling. everything i've been able to dig up seems to describe the commands but does not give a sense on how to become fast with them.

An AUGI session like "How to become amazingly productive in Revit" is what i'm looking for.

This, of course, is addition to the mutliple ways in which detail components, detail groups, and other benefts of the paradigm shift speed us up. we're being greedy here...:)

chris

ron.sanpedro
2006-03-15, 10:34 PM
hi all,

one little clarification. i think he's looking for something a llittle less focused on detailing and more on drafting and modeling using the tools that come with revit. like the best ways to use the offset, array, trim, to your advantage wile drafting or modeling. everything i've been able to dig up seems to describe the commands but does not give a sense on how to become fast with them.

An AUGI session like "How to become amazingly productive in Revit" is what i'm looking for.

This, of course, is addition to the mutliple ways in which detail components, detail groups, and other benefts of the paradigm shift speed us up. we're being greedy here...:)

chris

I think they key to remember is that in Revit, speed is not in the interaction with the UI, it is in the interaction with the data. So the question should not be "How fast can I mirror this wall about this line in plan?", but rather "How to I understand the ramifications of that wall being mirrored; in plan, section, elevations, contruction cost, project timeline, etc?"
If you judge Revit by how fast you interact with the software, it is going to feel SOOOO SLOOOOW. It just isn't snappy in it's input or feedback the way AutoCAD is, but that also isn't what it is about. And if you judge a user by how fast they can do a single isolated task, again it is trying to apply AutoCAD colored glasses to a Revit process. I think those users who define their skills mostly as knowing the tricks and workarounds are going to struggle with Revit, while those who define their skills as creating a building are going to flourish. In truth, I think Revit means the end of the Architectural Drafter, because the idiot savant computer is the drafter.

Best,
Gordon

bpayne
2006-03-15, 11:09 PM
Well said gordon