PDA

View Full Version : Software for Lighting analysis

Andre Baros
2006-03-15, 07:01 PM
What software are people using for lighting analysis? Does it work with Revit in any way?

We need to do LEEDS lighting analysis on daylight vs electrical light and would like to run through different scenarios (daylight vs thermal efficiently). I think we can do it with Max, but I don't know if that will meet LEEDS submission requirements.

Radiance, Lumin Micro, AGi32, Optis, Lightscape, Max Radiosity, where do I start?

While we're at it, what is the latest in whole building analysis... a tool that does energy analysis and lighting in one and talks to Revit would be the best.

Finally, once REVIT Systems comes out, will it talk to the usual analysis players (Trane, etc) the way that Revit Structures talks to the usual structural analysis platforms.

hand471037
2006-03-15, 07:42 PM
We need to do LEEDS lighting analysis on daylight vs electrical light and would like to run through different scenarios (daylight vs thermal efficiently). I think we can do it with Max, but I don't know if that will meet LEEDS submission requirements.

Ecotect would be a great way to go, but it's kinda out of commission right now. See if you can contact them directly and get a demo copy (their website is still offline as far as I know).

Radiance is a great solution, but unless you're willing to shell out the money for Max and the Radiance plug-in for Max, the learning curve will probably be too steep.

Andre Baros
2006-03-15, 08:31 PM
We're already got Max and I was thinking about the plug in, but was wondering how that compared to programs like Optis which cost 10 times more. What else are you getting that's worth so much?

I'll try sending an e-mail to Ecotect. Thanks.

hand471037
2006-03-15, 09:24 PM
We're already got Max and I was thinking about the plug in, but was wondering how that compared to programs like Optis which cost 10 times more. What else are you getting that's worth so much?

Well, some of these programs include modelers (like Ecotect) and some include more automated analysis features. Radiance alone can do almost everything, but it's just going to give you numbers, not the final reports and such you'll need.

The Radiance Max plug-in has a demo available. It watermarks things, and limits the resolution of your renderings, but it' s good enough to see what it can do. Sadly, though, it's seems to be either very basic (if you use the automated settings) or very advanced (if you use the manual settings). Didn't seem to be much middle ground.

janunson
2006-06-28, 04:14 PM
Ecotect is back, and with a new radiance control panel - http://squ1.com/ecotect/changes_v550