PDA

View Full Version : Can you make a door "Not room bounding"?

torpedorrr
2006-03-15, 11:03 PM
Hi there. I´m new to these forums, and first of all, I want to say you have a great place here, with a wealth of useful information. I will stick around :)

I´m currently evaluating the Revit demo, and I´m liking what I see. I have one doubt though, regarding room bounding: I´ll try to explain.

I would like to tag a room with a closet, to get the total area. I know you can untick "Room bounding" for walls, so I´d get "room area+closet area"; but I´d rather had "room area + closet area - area of the walls defining the closet". That is, the same you get when you place an opening in a wall, but with a door. Can you make doors not room bounding, be it in the family editor or otherwise?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Steve_Stafford
2006-03-15, 11:22 PM
Not a pretty workflow but a non-hosted door family parked in your opening would. You'd have to start out with a generic model and switch it to the door category. A hosted family won't do what you want. I've never been asked to report a room's area as you describe, is this typical for you?

aaronrumple
2006-03-16, 03:26 AM
Or add a "Suite" parameter to the room and closet space so you can have a total of the two in the schedule.

Steve_Stafford
2006-03-16, 04:05 AM
Or add a "Suite" parameter to the room and closet space so you can have a total of the two in the schedule.yep...if he's not expecting to see the total area in the room tag...

torpedorrr
2006-03-16, 05:33 AM
Not a pretty workflow but a non-hosted door family parked in your opening would. You'd have to start out with a generic model and switch it to the door category. A hosted family won't do what you want. I've never been asked to report a room's area as you describe, is this typical for you?

Yes, this is how you measure rentable area in Madrid (Spain): closet area is part of the room area, but the walls defining the closet are not. That´s why I thought that if you could mark a door as Not bounding, it would work exactly as I needed.

But you are right, a non-hosted door would do, as it would show anyway in schedules.

Thanks everyone for the quick answers :)

Steve_Stafford
2006-03-16, 07:37 AM
Yes, this is how you measure rentable area in Madrid (Spain): closet area is part of the room area, but the walls defining the closet are not. That´s why I thought that if you could mark a door as Not bounding, it would work exactly as I needed.

But you are right, a non-hosted door would do, as it would show anyway in schedules.

Thanks everyone for the quick answers :)I think that Aaron's suggestion makes more sense if you can report the area in a schedule and just tag the two spaces in plans. Placing openings and separate doors won't be very Revit-like eh?