PDA

View Full Version : Roof cut-off level query - inconsistent behaviour

PeterJ
2004-04-29, 12:05 PM
I have a roof which is complex in form - a bonnet hip in my terms, i.e. a hipped roof with raised eaves level on the short side exposing a trapezoidal gable. I have been advised by support, having exposed a possible bug in the code relating to slope arrows, that the roof should be formed as a cut off roof with a second roof above it, which is a well enough known means of achieving this form.

The lower part of the roof has different pitches to different areas and these different pitches appear to cut off at different levels. Does the cut off level relate to the roof core or the finish? There is only 30 or 40 mm between the two (<2") and this is what makes me wonder if the different angles are throwing the face of one higher than the other.

PeterJ
2004-05-03, 09:03 PM
No feedback on this one?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

gregcashen
2004-05-03, 09:22 PM
No feedback on this one?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Pete, this might as well read:

Ich habe ein Dach, das in der Form - eine Mützehüfte in meinen Bezeichnungen, d.h. ein hipped Dach mit angehobenen Eaves gleich auf der kurzen Seite kompliziert ist, die einen trapezoiden Giebel herausstellt. Ich bin durch die Unterstützung beraten worden, nachdem man eine mögliche Wanze im Code in bezug auf Steigungpfeile herausgestellt hatte, daß das Dach als abgeschnittenes Dach mit einem zweiten Dach über ihm gebildet werden sollte, das ein Brunnen genügende bekannten Mittel des Erzielens dieser Form ist. Das untere Teil des Dachs läßt unterschiedliche Taktabstände zu den unterschiedlichen Bereichen und diese unterschiedlichen Taktabstände scheinen, auf unterschiedlichen Niveaus abzuschneiden. Bezieht das abgeschnittene Niveau auf den Kern des Dachs oder das Ende? Es gibt nur 30, oder 40 Millimeter zwischen den zwei (< 2") und dieses ist, was mich Wunder, wenn die unterschiedlichen Winkel das Gesicht von einem werfen, das höher, als das andere ist bildet.

for all i was able to discern from the post...a picture of some sort or the file you are working on would help me tremendously! :wink:

PaulB
2004-05-03, 09:46 PM
Pete,

Maybe you could post a pencil drawing of what you are trying to achieve, that never seems to fail. :wink:

PeterJ
2004-05-04, 08:13 AM
OK, if you promise that a picture will generate an answer here it is....

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=2224

My concern is the jog in the alignment of the roof at the top of the valley - a point in space just to the left of the legend 'Base offset from level' in the image - despite it having a cutoff at a fixed level.

To return to my original query, and I'll translate the German for you Greg, the roof has different pitches to different slopes and these different pitches appear to cut off at different levels. Does the cut off level relate to the roof core or the finish? There is only 30 or 40 mm between the two (<2") and this is what makes me wonder if the different angles are throwing the face of one higher than the other.

PaulB
2004-05-04, 10:00 PM
Pete,

Now that's a whole lot clearer, NOT.

What I have tended to do when I come across similar problems is to create temporary sections through both areas and see if that gives me a better idea of what is happening. I don't know if it helps in this scenario but there you go.

Paul