PDA

View Full Version : structural issue

scoe
2006-03-16, 10:23 PM
ok...i posted this before but got zero results....can't someone out there tell me a way to do this! On the attached sketch the column issue is the most pressing to resolve. Sorry if I'm repeating a previous post!

thanks.

Lashers
2006-03-17, 12:16 AM
Make a family??! Can you explain the context? Does it have to be modelled? or it it just showing up on a detail drawing - therefore you could use the drafting tools to draw it . .

dbaldacchino
2006-03-17, 01:18 AM
For B, you could build a sweep out of a beam profile to follow the L shape you need. For A, you might need to build a generic model family or use the massing tools. It depends on how you want to use it or if you want to re-use it between projects.

tvanniekerk
2006-03-17, 11:57 AM
For the 1st part, create family from sweep, and overlay a void over the section of the beam that you dont want to see. Similarly, create the flange by solid extrusion using a sloping reference plane.

I used this before, if you don't come right, i can send an example family.

erikbjur
2006-03-17, 04:40 PM
Here is how I do it. Use a brace for the tilted member. Cut the top with a referance plane. Then cope the other end to the column. For the mitered beam, use a concrete beam and then change the profile to the wide flange section you want.

Arnel Aguel
2006-03-18, 01:02 AM
The problem with modeling the family as extrusion and sweep is that it does not have a link to the actual properties of the WF being used. What if the beam or column size has been changed after the structural analysis process? Well we can put parameters to the thickness of flange, web etc. etc. but this is just so time consuming if we update all the parameters once there is a change.. Is there a better way of doing it with a live link to the steel properties?

tvanniekerk
2006-03-18, 02:32 PM
Not so.

You still have all the section sizes available to load in the family, all you have to do is rename the txt file with the section sizes to be the same as the filename you chose for your modified family. Then you load the the profile sizes you want, and the beam will change accordingly.

Arnel Aguel
2006-03-19, 12:51 PM
I know what you mean but when you have a tapered section the profile sizes are useless.

see my issue here http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=1570