PDA

View Full Version : Hamachi network - update

Fred Blome
2006-03-17, 09:00 PM
FYI: I am still using Hamachi to create a VPN over the Internet with several months of experience now. Here's the latest:

Background: One remote user, one local working on a central file at 60 mb. Remote user does a save once at end of day and walks away. Updates his file in the morning with latest changes. We have not had any problems Revitwise working this way, except for the occasional short wait for privileges.
Hamachi is VPN. As I've noted in previous threads, it is EXTREMELY easy to set up and punch through all soft and hardware firewalls.
Hamachi is technically still in Beta but at 1.0 if you can find the link. 1.0 has an even better built in messaging and user management. Autodesk ought to license the technology and build it into Revit for workset sharing and management.
The Downside: The network occasionally goes down for short periods for scheduled maintenance - they are usually very late at nights and the network goes back up automatically, usually quickly, sometimes with a time lag if there a huge number of users online. We've had an occasion morning wait for one of users to get back online. Obviously there is no access to Central while Hamachi is down. That INCLUDES the local user as the path to Central has to get mapped to the Hamachi address thus the Hamachi network (see my previous posts). The Upside is the Hamachi people seem to take any downtime very seriously.
Conclusion: I think this is still a workable solution, particularly for the technically inept. Otherwise use a direct VPN if you can figure out how to set one up.

archjake
2006-03-17, 10:32 PM
Sounds Interesting. I know nothing about remotely accessing a central file, but want to learn. Thanks for sharing your info.

Fred Blome
2006-03-17, 11:00 PM
That INCLUDES the local user as the path to Central has to get mapped to the Hamachi address thus the Hamachi network (see my previous posts).

Actually, I think I'm wrong here. I had the path set this way for the local user to troubleshoot and never changed it. It can be a direct path, so this is not a disadvantage if Hamachi goes down.

We just did a remote save to Central and save back - 30 minutes of time for full days work of detailing. Remote user has a fairly standard Yahoo/SBC DSL.