PDA

View Full Version : Web Services.

beegee
2004-04-30, 05:34 AM
A recent AECbytes article (www.aecbytes.com/newsletter/issue_8.htm) discussed web services and painted the following scenario ...

In a fully Web Services based AEC world, we would have no applications locally installed on our machines. Instead, we would be running all the applications we needed over the Web, and they would communicate freely with each other. Imagine this scenario. At the conceptual design stage, an architect "rents" the use of three Web-based applications from different vendors: a sketching tool, a space analysis tool, and a photo realistic visualisation tool. As the architect develops the design concept in the sketching tool, the space analysis tool simultaneously shows space areas and distances in detail, by communicating directly with the sketching tool via Web Services. The architect can also immediately see a photo realistic rendering of the design concept in the third tool. At any time, the architect can call up other tools to collaborate on different aspects of the design, such as an energy analysis tool, a code checking tool, an animation tool, and so on, all by different vendors. There is no upfront cost in purchasing specific tools and dealing with all the installation and updating headaches; instead, applications can be paid for and deployed on an "as-needed" basis, allowing AEC professionals access to a much broader network of technical resources than is possible today.

Well, we can do most of that already ( sketching and visual analysis and photo realistic rendering and animation and production drawings) with our favourite software and without the problem of security, reliability or technical issues. We also aren't too far away from interacting with energy analysis , code checking and auto-specification software, not to mention structural and HVAC programmes.

Forget web services, just get Revit :wink:

mawi
2004-04-30, 06:09 AM
Somewhat strange description of web services, I think it gives you the wrong idea.

Wes Macaulay
2004-04-30, 06:36 AM
There's a group of people out there who think that all computing should be centralised; all we'd have is a terminal that connects into the Big Mainframe. Those of us who have control issues are not likely to buy into such a scenario; I prefer fighting my daily battle with Windoze issues and understanding what HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion means ( :!: maybe I AM a candidate for ADT after all ?!? Or maybe just OSX :wink: )

There are some upsides to this -- such as the confluence that Lachmi envisions -- but for those of us whose Maslonian heirarchy of needs is topped with a big box callled CONTROL, well... I'm a hangin' on to my PC.

But given that the digital data world is such a fine mess -- someone make CAiCE and Revit talk to each other, for instance -- centralised computing might have a better chance of streamlining if it were in one spot. Now if we could just get the different vendors to cooperate...

beegee
2004-04-30, 07:20 AM
Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. I just love it when you talk like that Wes. :) Adds class to the debate.

(Further reading: Abraham Maslow, Motivation and Personality, 2nd ed., Harper & Row, 1970. )

Wes Macaulay
2004-04-30, 07:36 AM
Why thank you Beegee... :oops: I have secondary training in crisis counseling which I find I need rather often in this business. CAD stands for 'computer aided despair', don't you know!

PeterJ
2004-04-30, 07:56 AM
You'll be opening a thread on Oscar Newman and Irving Goffman next

Joef
2004-04-30, 04:36 PM
Did someone say crisis counseling?? I could use a bit this morning. Hard Drive crashed; pulled out rack mounted hard drive, slotted in the spare and got ready to access my two day old backup file. "No keyboard detected". I got problems. Deadline looming and I am working for a designer who does manual drafting and is not going to be particularly sympathetic. Arggh!

Joe