PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Visibility - Drop down doesn't show up

joeswantek
2006-03-21, 06:57 PM
I've created a group of dynamic blocks that have different visibility states and I've distributed them among my design department. One machine, however, is glitching on me. When you click on the dynamic grip for the drop-down box, the grip turns red and no list shows up. I'm guessing this is a system variable, but I don't have a clue as to what it is. Can someone please help??

Rico
2006-03-21, 07:04 PM
I've created a group of dynamic blocks that have different visibility states and I've distributed them among my design department. One machine, however, is glitching on me. When you click on the dynamic grip for the drop-down box, the grip turns red and no list shows up. I'm guessing this is a system variable, but I don't have a clue as to what it is. Can someone please help??

To activate the Visibility States drop-down menu

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. In the Options dialog box, click the User Preferences tab.
3. On the User Preferences tab, under Windows Standard Behavior, select the "Shortcut menus in drawing area" box.
4. Click OK to close the Options dialog box.

Note: The drop-down menu for Visibility States will not appear if the Shortcut menus in drawing area option is not selected. You can then, if the user does not wish to use Shortcut menus in drawing area, modify the DB through the Properties Dialog Box.

Chris.N
2006-03-21, 07:06 PM

3. On the User Preferences tab, under Windows Standard Behavior, select the "Shortcut menus in drawing area" box.

Note: The drop-down menu for Visibility States will not appear if the Shortcut menus in drawing area option is not selected. You can then, if the user does not wish to use Shortcut menus in drawing area, modify the DB through the Properties Dialog Box.wow, i lerned something new today!! Thanks Rico!!

joeswantek
2006-03-21, 07:10 PM
I'll try that. Note to Autodesk: Please keep dynamic blocks separate from other items with drop-down menus, thank you!

Thanks a lot, appreicate the advice!

Opie
2006-03-21, 07:14 PM
I'll try that. Note to Autodesk: Please keep dynamic blocks separate from other items with drop-down menus, thank you!

Thanks a lot, appreicate the advice!
Have you tried out the wish list (http://www.augi.com/autocad/submitwish.asp) yet? :rolleyes:

Rico
2006-03-21, 07:16 PM
wow, i lerned something new today!! Thanks Rico!!
I can't take full credit for that. That was a question from another thread a long time ago. I think it was actually Mike who answered it for me ... it was either him or Richard. Either way, it was something I had gone through before, so I had the answer right there. It's not like I put on my Johnny Carson turban and came up magically with the answer ... I wish!

ultimateguruguy
2006-05-01, 05:27 PM
A workaround for this is to enable short cut menus in drawing area. Click "Right-click customization", and check the box for time sensitive right click. Set the time to at least a few seconds (put 5000 for 5 seconds). If this is enabled the visibility drop-down for DB's will still appear instantly, and right-click will still behave as enter. The only time the right-click menus will pop up is if you hold the button down too long, but I can't imagine any circumstance when you will "accidently" hold it down for 5 long seconds.

clarkrj
2006-05-03, 10:37 PM

Note: The drop-down menu for Visibility States will not appear if the Shortcut menus in drawing area option is not selected. You can then, if the user does not wish to use Shortcut menus in drawing area, modify the DB through the Properties Dialog Box.
I have one computer this doen't work on. I have looked at everything I can think of and still the drop-down will not appear. Any suggestions?

Rico
2006-05-04, 01:28 PM
I have one computer this doen't work on. I have looked at everything I can think of and still the drop-down will not appear. Any suggestions?
Make sure that all computers are running 2006 or better. Also, make sure that the DBs in that drawing have reverse lookup enabled ...... DBs also do not work on LT. They are converted to regular blocks, so make sure that none of the PCs affected are running LT other wise you are SOL.

clarkrj
2006-05-04, 04:47 PM
All systems are 2006. DB is from a network source so it is the same file that works on 15 machines but not on one. Is it possible to have reverse look-up for a DB different in two drawings? Where do I set this?

Rico
2006-05-04, 05:19 PM
All systems are 2006. DB is from a network source so it is the same file that works on 15 machines but not on one. Is it possible to have reverse look-up for a DB different in two drawings? Where do I set this?
i think it has to be set on a per computer basis. unless you have one of those cool IT programs that lets you "take over" a user's PC. Then you could do it from your station. But not two at once. Not that I know of anyway.

Chris.N
2006-05-04, 05:45 PM
i think it has to be set on a per computer basis. unless you have one of those cool IT programs that lets you "take over" a user's PC. Then you could do it from your station. But not two at once. Not that I know of anyway.just one comment/ opinion.... based on the fact that the toggle between read only and allow reverse lookup has to be done within the block editor, i think you have a cad setvar issue. see if that one machine is using a custom 'acaddoc.lsp' or other lsp file upon startup, and one other question. is this one machine doing goofy things in one particular dwg, or all new drawing files?

Rico
2006-05-04, 06:25 PM
just one comment/ opinion.... based on the fact that the toggle between read only and allow reverse lookup has to be done within the block editor, i think you have a cad setvar issue. see if that one machine is using a custom 'acaddoc.lsp' or other lsp file upon startup, and one other question. is this one machine doing goofy things in one particular dwg, or all new drawing files?
whew! Chris! You saved me from showing my ignorance ... whoops. too late. ;)

Chris.N
2006-05-04, 07:53 PM
whew! Chris! You saved me from showing my ignorance ... whoops. too late. ;)oh, behave! these are just another set of marbles in the issue. i'm just throwing in another option to investigate... we have reversed moments in here and you know it.... :p

Rico
2006-05-04, 08:54 PM
oh, behave! these are just another set of marbles in the issue. i'm just throwing in another option to investigate... we have reversed moments in here and you know it.... :pwell, yeah. but still. YOU behave, yes. yes. ;)

back on topic before we get spotted having fun in a "serious" environment. :Puffy: