PDA

View Full Version : Saving 8.1 to be opened in 8?

craighowie
2006-03-22, 12:18 PM
Hi there

Is there anyway of saving a Revit 8.1 files as a Revit 8 file? I am still working in 8 and have a drawing drawn in 8.1 that I need to open! Any suggestions? If this is not possible then what is the reason for this? Most programs at least give you the option of being able to save backwards!

Thanks
Craig

rhys
2006-03-22, 12:30 PM
Revit files cannot be saved back to previous versions. As most users are on subscription this is not an issue. Academic license holders are always advised to keep files in the eariest version used.

craighowie
2006-03-22, 01:00 PM
Cool thanks.

Merlin
2006-03-23, 08:14 AM
Yes,
I thought that was a bit strange at first, but other similar programmes (e.g.ArchiCAD) can not either. I asked this question a while ago and one of the Gurus in here gave me a full reason as to why...I can't remember it now...something about the compatability on new capacities of later releases becoming "crash points".... but it made sense at the time.

John Mc

Andrew Dobson
2006-03-23, 09:15 AM
I think that the Revit database is probably too complicated to back save. A program like AutoCAD that is geometry based is probably much easier to back save in programming wise.

craighowie
2006-03-24, 05:31 AM
Okay thanks that makes things alot clearer!