PDA

View Full Version : Building Column Layer Names

tedg
2006-03-22, 02:32 PM
Our firm uses the NatCad layer naming matrix, for example, text in an architectural drawing would be on the layer "A-ANNO-TEXT". We also use allot of xref bases for our plans. When creating a building structural column base which can be reference in all the structural framing plans as well as architectural plans, layer names can pose a problem.
Usually a column layer would be named something like "S-COLS" or "S-COLS-LVL1".
A problem arises when you have several floors, and some columns go to a certain level and stop and others start and stop at other levels. This makes it hard to put them on layers that make sense so you can control them in all the framing and floor plans.

What I came up with was a naming convention that used their binary number based on what floors they span. For instance, the lowest level of the building would be 0 (zero), usually the basement. The next level would be 1 (one) usually the first floor, then the next one would be 2 (two) and so on. Using those level numbers you assign numbers (layer names) to columns by adding the level numbers together (only one level at a time). For example the column between level 0 and level 1 would be "S-COLS-0001" (0+1=1) and the column between level 1 and level 2 would be "S-COLS-0003" (1+2=3) and so on. This is now your base for multiple floors. You add these column numbers based on all the floors they cover. For instance a column that goes from level 0 all the way to the 4th floor would be on layer "S-COLS-0016" because you would be adding S-COLS-0001+S-COLS-0003+S-COLS-0005+S-COLS-0007 (1+3+5+7=16). I have a little diagram on my cubie wall to remind me what to call each layer, it's like a little building section with the floor levels and column names per level.

It's actually pretty simple. I don't know if anything like this exists out there, I came up with it because I was struggling with a recent project with allot of columns at different levels. I haven't found a problem with it yet, none of the numbers repeat.

Good Luck!