PDA

View Full Version : Central File Log folder is HUGE

mylesa
2006-03-22, 04:38 PM
We broke this project up into workset at the beginning of the year. The central file, stored on our server, has central_log folder this is gianormous (6 GB). This is happening with all our central files, and I have the revit settings to delete logs over 10 or older than 10 days. What's the deal? Do I have something setup wrong? Thanks for the help.

jeffh
2006-03-23, 12:20 AM
The log file is there to help development determine what may have caused problems in a central file if you have problems. It is safe to remove the log files. DO NOT under any circumstances modify or tamper with the backup folder in any way.

mylesa
2006-03-24, 02:02 PM
I am just talking about the log files, definately not the backup folder. But, how do I limit the number of log files that are stored on the hard drive? We've got 6 projects broken into worksets and all the log files are 4 GB to 6 GB each - needless to say, it's eating up a lot of space on the server. Is there a better way than going in and manually deleting the log files? Am I the only one having this problem?

mylesa
2006-03-27, 05:15 PM
Bump for some help.

bbeck
2006-03-27, 05:40 PM
To clean these files up on our server I've got a batch routine that runs daily and deletes any "*.txt" file that is older then 7 days within a "*_log" directory.

Brian Beck
CAD Manager
Rainforth Grau Architects

mylesa
2006-03-27, 07:04 PM
How would I set that up? And, thanks for the response.

bbeck
2006-03-28, 05:27 PM
I guess I should've placed a "disclaimer" about my batch routine. I'm using UNIX, so I have a "cron" that runs weekly. The "cron" contains a "find" with switches -mtime, -name, -exec and a "rm". I did a quick search for a Windows way of accomplishing the same thing and you may want to take a look at DELEN v1.09. It appears to be a free download. http://www.geocities.com/jadoxa/delenxrd. I hope this helps.

Brian Beck
CAD Manager
Rainforth Grau Architects