PDA

View Full Version : Solid Revolves

dbaldacchino
2006-03-22, 10:29 PM
Ok, I'm trying to do a simple door knob using a solid revolve, but I'm getting a lot of facets and not a nice, continuous shape. Is there some setting to get a better result or is this just how it works? Thanks!

eddy.lermytte
2006-03-22, 10:40 PM
Hello David
That's the way it is....we can't change that.

dbaldacchino
2006-03-22, 11:43 PM
Oh bummer :/ Thanks Eddy.

cadkiller
2006-03-23, 12:09 AM
But on a good note it renders perfectly as far as I've heard.

Wes Macaulay
2006-03-23, 08:08 AM
Revit has limits on its tesselation at this scale. At larger scales curves appear more accurately on the screen. Jungreis or Raiz have said that it was a compromise made early in Revit's development to make curves appear as users would expect at common sizes (building as opposed to doorknob).

Max Lloyd
2006-03-23, 08:29 AM
Thanks Wes. I always figured there must be a setting somewhere I just didn't know about.

It is slightly odd though. For instance, model a simple cylinder, say with a 50mm diameter, and 100mm depth using a revolve and you will find it is faceted. Create the same with an extrusion and it appears fine, none or very little faceting.

See the attached images: the left hand cylinder is created using an extrusion. Very little faceting. The middle cylinder was created using a revolve. The right hand object is a blend and was modelled just to see if blends suffer from faceting. They do!

BTW, when rendered the faceting does remain. (render done at 300dpi)

Not that this helps anyone, but interesting none the less!

Max.

dbaldacchino
2006-03-23, 03:07 PM
Thanks Max and Wes. Max, that's what what I found odd. But for the shape I wanted to create, I couldn't use an extrusion with a circle, which didn't seem to tassellate at that small scale in some initial tests. We'll see how it renders in Max. If it's a problem, we might mass this little detail outside of Revit and import it in a masssing family. Hopefully it won't degrade it.