PDA

View Full Version : Layer color in a Field

Peter Sedlacek
2006-03-23, 07:46 AM
i have a field in a block attribute. its color is set to byblock. the block's color is set to bylayer. i want to show the number of layer color in the field, what is the block inserted in.
i used block placeholder, but it shows bylayer, as the block's color is bylayer.
is it possible to have a true number there, for example 144, if the block's layer color is 144?

SRBalliet
2006-03-24, 12:15 PM
Some will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can change the color of the background in a field. It is gray. You can only choose to have it display or turn it off.

Mike.Perry
2006-03-24, 12:24 PM
Hi
Some will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can change the color of the background in a field. It is gray. You can only choose to have it display or turn it off.That is correct ( Change Field background color ).

But, I think "peter.sedlacek" is referring to the actual Color of the Text that makes up the Field ( though I could well be wrong, it happens all the time ).

Have a good one, Mike

Peter Sedlacek
2006-03-24, 03:31 PM
hi, i thought the text. but not its color, but i want to have a number there. if the block is in the layer, which color is 144, i want to have a field value 144. if i move the block to another layer which color is 155, i want it to be changed accordingly.
i used color value for this field, but as block's color is bylayer, the value of the field is always bylayer. i would need not color variable, but layer color variable for the field. does it exist?
or is there another way to solve this problem?

thanks.

tedg
2006-03-24, 03:48 PM
hi, i thought the text. but not its color, but i want to have a number there. if the block is in the layer, which color is 144, i want to have a field value 144. if i move the block to another layer which color is 155, i want it to be changed accordingly.
i used color value for this field, but as block's color is bylayer, the value of the field is always bylayer. i would need not color variable, but layer color variable for the field. does it exist?
or is there another way to solve this problem?

thanks.

Excuse me if I'm asking a stupid question,
But do you mean you want the attribute to change per layer's color or the field in the attribute dialog box?

I don't know anything about changing the dialog box field, but we place our attributes on a different layer (color ByLayer) than the block base geometry. For instance, if we have a title tag with attributes, the basic (raw block) geometry is on layer zero and the attribute definitions are on layers named G-SYMB-ATRB and ALL colors are ByLlayer. So when inserted on a certain layer the block takes on the color of that layer and the attributes' colors can be changed through the attribute's layers.

And if you want it all to change per layer color, put everything (geometry and attribute definitions) on layer zero and make sure all colors are ByLayer

But if this doesn't help, just ignore it.

Ted

Opie
2006-03-24, 04:03 PM
I think what is being requested is not possible. You are wanting the color number that the block is currently inheriting via the layer? Is this correct? Most entities information do not list the color unless that entity has had its color changed, therefore the "block" you are trying to make would most likely be set to "bylayer".

Have you tried changing the color of the block to see if the field within the attribute would update to the newly chosen color?

Peter Sedlacek
2006-03-28, 07:04 AM
yes, if i change the color of the block, it will change to the color number. but it is not acceptable for me to do it this way. i wanted to do it by layer changing.
i thought, it is not possible, but wanted to check, if somebody do not have a solution.
thanks for help to all.

Peter Sedlacek
2006-03-28, 07:08 AM
I know, my request is not useful for the design workflow, i needed it for special uses.
thanks.

Opie
2006-03-28, 02:20 PM
yes, if i change the color of the block, it will change to the color number. but it is not acceptable for me to do it this way. i wanted to do it by layer changing.
i thought, it is not possible, but wanted to check, if somebody do not have a solution.
thanks for help to all.
At least we found out what the field is actually reporting.

Does it show Bylayer after you have manually changed the color from the layer's original color and then back to Bylayer?

Peter Sedlacek
2006-03-28, 02:22 PM
At least we found out what the field is actually reporting.

Does it show Bylayer after you have manually changed the color from the layer's original color and then back to Bylayer?

:), it is because of my bad english.

Opie
2006-03-28, 02:28 PM
:), it is because of my bad english.
What bad english? :confused: Everything you posted, I understood. ;)

RobertB
2006-03-29, 03:20 PM
This won't be easily accomplished using fields.