PDA

View Full Version : Revit Series

cadkiller
2006-03-24, 04:52 PM
Group;

I just recently found out that Revit System will be bundled with ABS as one package.
Why didn't they do the same for Revit Building or Revit Structures?
Where they would have included ADT instead of AutoCAD.

tc3dcad60731
2006-03-24, 05:32 PM
Here is my question.......

I was told in Inventor Series you get Inventor, MDT, Mechanical! So why did we not get Revit Bldg, ADT, and ACAD???????

Further, the intent is to have an all inclusive BIM model, right? So why are we back to breaking it out in different disciplines?????

Why not have one program that works for all?

Having said that, maybe ADSK looked at the U.N. and realized that there would never be world peace among the different disciplines! ;-)

Steve_Stafford
2006-03-24, 06:52 PM
Systems is Release ONE software and as such the focus has been on engineering data, not documentation output...as in drafting output or construction documentation. So Autodesk doesn't intend engineers to use Systems unless they are working with a Revit using Architect and they will do engineering in Systems and most likely finish documention using Autodesk Building Systems until Systems has the rest built in. So the combo is required to provide a complete solution for now.

Having seen the software presented three times this week I must say it looks pretty nice.

SkiSouth
2006-03-24, 08:03 PM
Having seen the software presented three times this week I must say it looks pretty nice.Okay - no bragging..:mrgreen: Yes, I'm just envious..

Steve_Stafford
2006-03-24, 08:07 PM
Okay - no bragging..:mrgreen: Yes, I'm just envious.. :smile: sorry...benefit of being near a really big city with more than one Revit user group! Three user's groups met this week here just so they could demo the new stuff, SCRUG, LARUG and RUGIE.

cadkiller
2006-03-24, 09:09 PM
Systems is Release ONE software and as such the focus has been on engineering data, not documentation output...as in drafting output or construction documentation. So Autodesk doesn't intend engineers to use Systems unless they are working with a Revit using Architect and they will do engineering in Systems and most likely finish documention using Autodesk Building Systems until Systems has the rest built in. So the combo is required to provide a complete solution for now.
The same could have been said for Revit Structures when it first came out. Why didn't they include ADT instead of AutoCAD for documentation purposes for Revit Structures? Or why couldn't they have just included AuotCAD instead of ABS for the mechanical Engineer.

I still fail to see the logic! Am I the only one that feels this way?

Andre Baros
2006-03-24, 09:50 PM
I think the situation for structures was just the opposite, the documentation side is great and way better than ADT, but the mechanics of drawing a beam havn't been all worked out.

And why bundle ADT with Revit, I wouldn't take it even for free.

cadkiller
2006-03-24, 10:14 PM
And why bundle ADT with Revit, I wouldn't take it even for free.
It would make the Architects transition to Revit that much easier and less costly.
If you had to convert your firm, which route would you choose?

1- Upgrade all your ADT seats to Revit
2- Upgrade all your ADT seats to Revit bundled with AutoCAD
3- Upgrade all your ADT seats to Revit bundled with ADT

BWG
2006-03-24, 10:16 PM
Actually, I am glad they did not give us ADT. It just takes up more space on my hard drive. We rarely use ACAD for anything now anyways. Mainly just for old documents which LT would have worked just as good. We thought we had better get ACAD just in case, but that was a waste of money. Good it was only $300 bucks more; otherwise, I would be crying about now.

Now, Viz or Max would have been nice instead of accurender.

Andre Baros
2006-03-24, 10:22 PM
Now that would be a bundle, Revit and Max!

One of the reasons we chose Revit over the other options was the clean break from Autocad. I think it's more cost effective to break free and get up to speed quickly then to do a slow transition and bleed your way to the other side... or never get there because it's just easier to do business as usual.

kpaxton
2006-03-24, 10:40 PM
Now that would be a bundle, Revit and Max![Country Music=ON/ Style=Montgomery Gentry]

" Can I get a big 'Hell Yeah!?
Hell yeah!
Turn it up!
Right on!
Hell yeah!
Sounds good! "

[Country Music=OFF]

Now... THAT's a bundle! (made a little better with AcadLT or Acad, just to open legacy things)

Kyle

tc3dcad60731
2006-03-25, 05:49 AM
I still fail to see the logic! Am I the only one that feels this way?[/size][/font]

I still do not understand the logic either. Do not get me wrong because I am not busting ADSK's here. I am just saying that I was shown that Revit was the next big thing, it would do it all from Architectural work (primary), could include structural details and members such as exposed beams, and do rendering and walkthroughs.

Loved the demo, loved the webcasts, and UPGRADED with subscription. Next they come out with Structure! I need the structural library and they finally posted some structural stuff on the site for download. Now they are coming out with Systems for MEP. Are they going to provide that library? Truly this goes beyond just libraries! With remodel work, historic renovation, new construction, etc, etc, that we do here we need it all. We have to do all the architecturals as far as the floorplans and elevations. We have to do the proposed framing plans and details for the engineer to review. We have to show how the electrical, plumbing, and HVAC layouts for the contractors and how it all ties in to the existing (if remodeling/retrofitting). So do I have to buy all versions to get my work
done when I was told this would be the first all inclusive BIM program? After all Mathcad has all items and libraries with it and if you do not need it then you do not use it but it is there!

Now having said that I am familiar with Inventor Series coming with Inventor, MDT, and Mechanical so that MDT users could transition to Inventor. So why did Revit series not come with ADT? If you did not want MDT then you did not install and likewise you do not have to install ADT! Further, I have friends and colleagues that tell me that IF I had ADT I could buy such and such add-on and it will do Auto Stud Wall generations for me for framing views! How about this relationship with Revit! Right now we use our ACAD 2d details and if we need something proprietary to the project then we will draw in ACAD and insert the view as a detail. It would be way cool to select a custom wall section or roof section with fancy dormer and be able to click "frame view".

The short and skinny about all of this is that....
1. Do not take ACAD away from the package
2. Make it all inclusive like it was marketed to begin with
3. Please give us the option to buy Viz or Max at a discounted price if we have spent this much money on a GREAT program so that we can make better visuals!

narlee
2006-03-26, 02:01 AM
Sorry for the lame question, but what is "ABS"?

blads
2006-03-26, 02:23 AM
Sorry for the lame question, but what is "ABS"?Not a lame question at all...

ABS = Autodesk Building Systems

captainbunsaver
2006-03-27, 08:18 PM
From what I can determine, the MEP portion (Systems?) is built on ACAD, and the MEP work is not done in Revit. That would require an export, work, import.
Am I correct in this?

TC

Andre Baros
2006-03-27, 08:55 PM
Systems is built on Acad and intended for coordination with those using Acad or Desktop
Revit Systems is build on Revit and intended for coordination with those using Revit.
Both can function without the other, but since most MEP engineers work as consultants they need to be able to speak both languages.

Scott D Davis
2006-03-28, 12:06 AM
Just to be clear, two different programs:

ABS = Autodesk Building Systems, MEP based on AutoCAD

Revit Systems = MEP based on Revit

I'm sure there is going to be confusion in the marketplace as these begin to be used and people start referring to them each as "Systems" . We all should be careful to call them ABS and Revit Systems, as diferent programs.