PDA

View Full Version : Stair problem

tim.101799
2006-03-26, 10:12 PM
I need to model a set of stairs that requires 3 flights to go from floor to floor. The 3rd flight is directly over the 1st. The only problem is that Revit won't seem to let me. When I draw the run of the 3rd flight directly over the 1st, I get an error saying that lines cannot overlap. Is there some trick to this? There must be a way to do thid in Revit.

blads
2006-03-26, 10:33 PM
I need to model a set of stairs that requires 3 flights to go from floor to floor. The 3rd flight is directly over the 1st. The only problem is that Revit won't seem to let me. When I draw the run of the 3rd flight directly over the 1st, I get an error saying that lines cannot overlap. Is there some trick to this? There must be a way to do thid in Revit.One work-around would be to create a "false" level (that can be hidden in views) at a 1/3 height, so 1 flight would terminate there, then the remainder 2 flight will go from that level to the next "true" level.

HTH

tim.101799
2006-03-26, 11:30 PM
One work-around would be to create a "false" level (that can be hidden in views) at a 1/3 height, so 1 flight would terminate there, then the remainder 2 flight will go from that level to the next "true" level.

HTH

I ws thinking of something similar. But this building I am working on is 27 floors, and I wanted create a multi level stair to handle the 24 floors of the building with the same floor to floor height. Your way would mean I would have to copy the stairs to every level. But if that is the only way to do, I guess that it what I have to do. I just cannot believ revit cannot model a set of stairs with 3 flights. It is a pretty common thing.

cadkiller
2006-03-26, 11:54 PM
We need to add this to the stair wish list for the next release.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=35021

E-Key
2006-03-27, 01:59 PM
There is no problem to create the stair you are talking about. See attached file. When you draw the list flight, don't put the line exactly to same place as the first flight. Then you can move the last flight to desired position. But usually I put the last flight in position to have a small gap (about 1 mm) to first flight. Please don't pay attention to the message about overlapped lines defining risers.

tim.101799
2006-03-27, 03:04 PM
There is no problem to create the stair you are talking about. See attached file. When you draw the list flight, don't put the line exactly to same place as the first flight. Then you can move the last flight to desired position. But usually I put the last flight in position to have a small gap (about 1 mm) to first flight. Please don't pay attention to the message about overlapped lines defining risers.

I did what you suggested, and it sort worked with a few bugs. I get a new error message saying "Top reference is below bottom reference for one or more balusters, these balusters are not created. Then for some reason it does not create the inside stringer and handrail for the 1st flight of stairs. See the attached file

E-Key
2006-03-27, 03:18 PM
Please see attached file. I edited your drawing and made the first flight a little bit wider than the last one. May be this trick is OK for you.

tim.101799
2006-03-27, 03:44 PM
Please see attached file. I edited your drawing and made the first flight a little bit wider than the last one. May be this trick is OK for you.

That will work just fine. One thing I just realize is that I cannot make this stair a multi-story stairs. Becuase there are 3 flights to go floor to floor, the stairs mirrors itself on evey floor. For example the stair layout will be the same on floor 1, 3, 5, 7, but will be mirrored on floors 2, 4, 6, 8.

cadkiller
2006-03-27, 04:07 PM
That will work just fine. One thing I just realize is that I cannot make this stair a multi-story stairs. Becuase there are 3 flights to go floor to floor, the stairs mirrors itself on evey floor. For example the stair layout will be the same on floor 1, 3, 5, 7, but will be mirrored on floors 2, 4, 6, 8.
That is weird. Seems like that would cause a minor headroom problem. LOL

E-Key
2006-03-27, 04:21 PM
Multistory storey could be done too. I used one more trick. Take the Top Level parameter and define it to next floor. For instance for stair from level 1 to level 2 set the parameter to Level 3. It will be an error message about number of risers but don't pay attention for it. The same action make for stair starting from level 2.

cadkiller
2006-03-27, 04:33 PM
Ekurbatov;

Thanks for the tips!

tim.101799
2006-03-27, 04:37 PM
Multistory storey could be done too. I used one more trick. Take the Top Level parameter and define it to next floor. For instance for stair from level 1 to level 2 set the parameter to Level 3. It will be an error message about number of risers but don't pay attention for it. The same action make for stair starting from level 2.

Very creative solution! You basicly made 2 different multi-story stairs each one a mirror image of the other and skipping every other floor.

E-Key
2006-03-27, 07:10 PM
Very creative solution! You basicly made 2 different multi-story stairs each one a mirror image of the other and skipping every other floor.If you want you can use the same multistory stair if you have the equal number of even and odd levels. Just make a group of stair and railings at level 1, copy to clipboard, paste to level 2 and rotate the group for 180 degree. Now you can edit the group and get effect for the second stair. Hope it will be useful for you.

Calvn_Swing
2007-09-28, 05:16 PM
Or, do a six run stair instead of a three run stair so it evens out...