PDA

View Full Version : curved wall with sloping top?

archjake
2004-05-04, 05:43 PM
Whats the trick to modeling this correctly?

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=2230

Thanks in advance.

Jake

PeterJ
2004-05-04, 06:02 PM
Three options...

1 make a series of ref planes, make the wall in short sections and use the wall attach tool to join those sections of wall to the ref plane.

2. Make the wall a fixed height and model a void to cut away the top. For a constant rake on a curve use a blend with top and bottom perpendicular to the ground and set up so that their blend follows a radial line from the centre of the curve of the wall.

3. Form a pitched roof in a separate workset, use the attach tool again and join to that roof, switch opff the worksets visibility.

The curve you indicate will probably be best modelled using option 2, and so I am guessing the image is not a revit export already....

hand471037
2004-05-04, 06:02 PM
What are you using now? Are those sweeps with voids? Walls attached to sloped ref. planes?

Wes Macaulay
2004-05-04, 07:23 PM
2. Make the wall a fixed height and model a void to cut away the top. For a constant rake on a curve use a blend with top and bottom perpendicular to the ground and set up so that their blend follows a radial line from the centre of the curve of the wall...
I'm not sure I follow you here, Peter. What does the blend look like?

archjake
2004-05-04, 08:38 PM
Peters option #2 sounds like the solution I'm looking for, but I'm also lost as to what this blend looks like.

For the image I used two walls, each attached to different ref. planes. Its close, but not correct.

The end result will remain in revit.

aaronrumple
2004-05-04, 09:01 PM
Something like this...

PeterJ
2004-05-04, 10:38 PM
I'm not 100% sure what that is Aaron. This is what I had in mind.

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=2233

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=2234

Here the void comprises a blend with an eliptical lower edge, keeping the blend surfaces radial to the centre of the walls curve ensures that the top surface of the cut wall is always horizontal when measured from the centre point.

I have used a couple of extrusions to cut away the remainder of the wall in this example, if you do this you should use the join geometry tool on your voids to avoid getting odd lines on the top surface of the curved wall where the individual voids join one another.

If you need, say, a tile creasing as a coping detail you can make an inplace family and pare/whittle away bits until it stands proud of the face of the wall using much the same process. Its time consuming but effective. If you have a brick on edge coping you will find fill patterns work somewhat irregularly, same for render materials, but otherwise its an ok process.

Oh and I think Jim Balding takes credit for this trick. I pinched the idea from something he posted previously.

SkiSouth
2004-05-05, 12:30 AM
This would be my approach. - I think this is what PeterJ said in #1.
Short curved walls. a Cut reference plane, attach walls and turn off cut plane.

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=2235

Wes Macaulay
2004-05-05, 04:14 AM
Peter -- thanks for the example. A picture is worth a thousand words and in this case saved me a trip to the shrink, motorcycle accidents notwithstanding.

Scott D Davis
2004-05-05, 05:27 AM
I've saidit before, we need a sweep-blend tool just for this reason. I guess its also called a 'loft' in other programs. This would be a sweep along a path, with a starting profile, and an ending profile.

For this wall, you would have a small rectangle at the beginning of the path, and a taller version at the end of the path.

I think its on the wishlist, so tell your favorite Rev-dev team member you need this. The more responses, the more likely to see it in a future release!

PeterJ
2004-05-05, 07:39 AM
A picture is worth a thousand words and in this case saved me a trip to the shrink.

I gave you two pictures. How much does your shrink charge?

Short curved walls. a Cut reference plane, attach walls and turn off cut plane.

That is a quicker route, but it is not quite as accurate as the one I describe in my point two. My point 3 has the same inaccuracies.

SkiSouth
2004-05-05, 01:02 PM
That is a quicker route, but it is not quite as accurate as the one I describe in my point two. My point 3 has the same inaccuracies.

That is correct. The image is attached showing the inaccuracies for those who do not want to download the file. The top will be sloped in this model, versus the flat top as would be in the field and per PeterJ's noted example.

I would model this this way at this point in Revit's existence, and work out the inaccuracies when I detailed the wall section. I agree that a blend for this work would be great.

PeterJ
2004-05-05, 09:02 PM
For a fully inplace modelled solution take a look at Michelangelo Togni's excellent curved ramp in this (http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1354&highlight=ramp) thread. It is a very clever piece of modelling and may be quicker than setting up the blend that I suggested. However, you might spend just as much time unpicking Michelangelo's geometry.

Phil Read
2004-05-06, 03:58 AM
One parametric sloping wall segment. User can specify segment angle, inner wall radius, thickness, top and bottom slope elevations (all instance parameters). Generic model. Works up to 180 degrees although using more segments result in greater accuracy. Actual results may vary. Shake vigorously before use. Do not puncture or incinerate. Contents under pressure. Many can enter but only a few will win. Under 18 please get your parents permission. Act now.

;)

-Phil

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=2255

beegee
2004-05-06, 04:03 AM
Phil, you've done it again !

( S & CW Ma ) Stair and Curved Wall Master.

archjake
2004-05-06, 04:14 AM
THANK YOU PHIL!

I guess that this family will have to do until we can get a blend sweep tool, or other other options.

Thanks!

Jake

Scott D Davis
2004-05-06, 04:21 AM
Phil, will your wall family host wall based objects? (doors, windows?) Can't try it now, only have 5.1 at home.. :(

Phil Read
2004-05-06, 04:37 AM
If created in place (wall catagory) with the same parameters - sure. But this one's been created as a family component (generic model) - so it's not going to host elements.

-Phil

jbalding48677
2004-05-06, 04:44 AM
I tried to attach a wall to the bottom of a curved ramp, no luck. Thought, what about some sort of stringer. I will leave that to Phil.

I guess the point I am getting at is Revit can handle the top of the wall as a "doable" geometry piece. So far Phil's partitions will work. What about the stringer/attach theories?

Henry D
2004-05-06, 03:26 PM
Thanks Phil, I had been putting off doing the curved walls for these stairs and had been following this thread intently for tips...your family worked great, now I just have to get my railing to look right with some end posts.

matt.orsillo
2008-11-10, 05:40 PM
Is there a way to assign a material to this wall, such as CMU block?