PDA

View Full Version : Editing Multiple blocks

nickeshaffer
2006-03-28, 08:30 PM
Ok, first off, I'm new to '06, and dont quite understand the Dynamic Blocks as of yet (need more time in a day!) BUT, i use the Surface Finish block (which i created in '02) alot.

In '02 i could insert several of these Surface Finish Blocks and edit each one individually. How do i do that in '06??

Thanks!!!

Opie
2006-03-28, 08:55 PM
I don't quite follow how you are editing each block. Can you elaborate more on your steps?

nickeshaffer
2006-03-28, 09:04 PM
I don't quite follow how you are editing each block. Can you elaborate more on your steps?

absoutely...

Before (in '02) I would simply double click on the number of the Surface Finish, a small window would pop up, and I could change the value of that number (more like an attribute).

Now, i must go through the DB editor, and it changes them all... ill attach my SF block

Opie
2006-03-28, 09:37 PM
I didn't have any problems double clicking the block to edit the attribute. What is your PICKFIRST and/or your DBLCLKEDIT system variables set to?

nickeshaffer
2006-03-28, 09:40 PM
What is your PICKFIRST and/or your DBLCLKEDIT system variables set to?

PICKFIRST <1>
DBLCKEDIT <ON>

Did you insert several of the blocks, and try and edit one? that's where my problems start... editing one is fine, but when i have several in my drawing, and want to edit just one... it doesn't like me so well

Opie
2006-03-28, 09:49 PM
PICKFIRST <1>
DBLCKEDIT <ON>

Did you insert several of the blocks, and try and edit one? that's where my problems start... editing one is fine, but when i have several in my drawing, and want to edit just one... it doesn't like me so well
How many do you normally have in a drawing? I just tested with 2500+ inserts of that block with no problem editing.

.T.
2006-03-28, 09:56 PM
Maybe this is a hint:

When I tried it, I had to explode them once, then extended attedit worked. Otherwise, the in place reference editor displayed. When you list the block, is the name "sf" or "surface"?

Opie
2006-03-28, 10:01 PM
Maybe this is a hint:

When I tried it, I had to explode them once, then extended attedit worked. Otherwise, the in place reference editor displayed. When you list the block, is the name "sf" or "surface"?
I opened the file directly which did not require an explode. I then copy/paste the block around several times. The extended attribute editor worked each time.

.T.
2006-03-28, 10:04 PM
I inserted the dwg. Maybe that is where the op's issue is rooted?

Rico
2006-03-29, 02:53 PM
I inserted the dwg. Maybe that is where the op's issue is rooted?
More than likely. I had that problem once. And so did one of my co-workers. When you insert the DRAWING, it brings it in as an uneditable entity that requires exploding. Once it is exploded all you are left with is the original block.

To get around this, the easiest way that I know how is one of two ways:

1) copy and paste the block from drawing to drawing
2) bring in the block using Design Centre. Note that for this one to work properly, you'll have to expand the drawing and open the "blocks" tab. From there, you can select which block you wanna bring in.

Chris.N
2006-03-29, 03:05 PM
More than likely. I had that problem once. And so did one of my co-workers. When you insert the DRAWING, it brings it in as an uneditable entity that requires exploding. Once it is exploded all you are left with is the original block.

To get around this, the easiest way that I know how is one of two ways:

1) copy and paste the block from drawing to drawing
2) bring in the block using Design Centre. Note that for this one to work properly, you'll have to expand the drawing and open the "blocks" tab. From there, you can select which block you wanna bring in.or, in original drawing, purge all, then wblock using 'block' as source for your block library and then insert from there. all my DBs are inserted using the Tool Palette.