PDA

View Full Version : Will Revit be good for Consulting Engineers (C,S,H,E,P)?

tsbykatherine60220
2004-05-05, 07:03 PM
Hi,

I work in a consulting engineering firm which houses Civil, Structural, HVAC, Electrical and Plumbing disciplines.

I am looking into different BIM products and am curious if any of you know whether Revit is planning on developing discipline specific products or if it already incorporates them.

Any opinions or comments are extremely welcome,

Thanks,

Rick

aaronrumple
2004-05-05, 07:10 PM
My bet: MEP sonner than later... and I bet it makes ADT/BS look silly.

gregcashen
2004-05-05, 07:12 PM
I see structural coming in the not-too-distant future...

aaronrumple
2004-05-05, 07:14 PM
BTW: Our firm is a MEP/Architecture firm. Right now the MEP office hasn't been trained on Revit - but wants to be.

We could be doing Revit electrical without any problems right now.

No complaints from our MEP on using the AutoCAD backgrounds I export from Revit. They look just the way those departments want.

They are thrilled when I show the condenser in plan and it also shows up in elevation. They feel loved...

Scott D Davis
2004-05-05, 07:19 PM
Civil - Revit does VERY basic civil now, like topography. A more robust Civil is much further down on the list of priorities.

Structural - This is the next true engineering package you will see in Revit. Part of the structural is already there, and more is being developed. Speculation is the next release will have full structural capabilities.

MEP - The mech/elect/plumbing is expected in Revit, but not anytime soon. Maybe we will see parts of it in release 8 or 9. Some very basic MEP is included now. The ability to export to gbXML to get energy calcs from the Green Building council is a step in the right direction, and available in r6.1.

tsbykatherine60220
2004-05-05, 09:40 PM
Structural - This is the next true engineering package you will see in Revit. Part of the structural is already there, and more is being developed. Speculation is the next release will have full structural capabilities.

MEP - The mech/elect/plumbing is expected in Revit, but not anytime soon. Maybe we will see parts of it in release 8 or 9. Some very basic MEP is included now. The ability to export to gbXML to get energy calcs from the Green Building council is a step in the right direction, and available in r6.1.

Thanks for the info, do any of you have a gauge as to how far behind (if at all) Revit is, compared to Bentley? They have a coordination tool that will take the HVAC and Structural drawings and highlight areas of conflict (e.g. duct through beam). Does Revit have a similar tool?

I'll come back and post an update on anything I find out.

Thanks again,

Rick