PDA

View Full Version : Viz Hype(r)

beegee
2004-05-06, 04:11 AM
I've read right through AutoDesk's Viz 2005 release notes and searched on "hyper" and "dual", but I still don't have an answer - does VIZ support hyper threading ??

GuyR
2004-05-06, 05:44 AM
Is hyper threading something a program can call Beegee? I thought it was an OS function that automatically instigates hyper-threading as required...

Guy

beegee
2004-05-06, 06:08 AM
Uhhm no, I think hyperthreading must be called first by the programme, ( as it is in Accurender ) and obviously supported then by the chipset ( and the os too )

Anyway, what I'm asking is " does VIZ make full use of dual cpus in the same way that Accurender does ?"

PeterJ
2004-05-06, 07:25 AM
I thought that hyper-threading was an Intel technology that allows a single processor to mimic dual-processor behaviour so that you don't hang the system when one hefty process starts up.

Dual processors are a separate issue.

This is probably where Jeffrey weighs in...

beegee
2004-05-06, 07:56 AM
My understanding is that a dual processor, consisting of suitable chips, will still handle hyperthreading, effectively the system will think it's four virtual cpus, for want of better terminology. In my case, I'm looking at a dual Xeon box and hence my question. Hyper-Threading enabled CPU's do see performance gains with software which is intended for usage with two processors. While only a small majority of software is written to take advantage of multiple CPU's, there is an even smaller amount which will allow threads to be sent to four processors and see better performance.

But lets not get tied up in the technical semantics. What I'm really asking is " Does Viz support dual processor rendering as Accurender does ? "

GuyR
2004-05-06, 08:31 AM
" Does Viz support dual processor rendering as Accurender does ? "

looks like it. Ask the question here:

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forum.jspa?forumID=106&start=0

Bound to be a VIZ expert who can answer the hyper-threading question as well.

Guy

beegee
2004-05-06, 08:37 AM
Spose I should have gone there first . :oops:

Posted by: Subramaniyan, Arun
Date: Sep/20/01 - 10:00 (GMT)
Hi all

Does 3d studio VIZ R3 support dual processors? (ie) does the program use
both processors in a dual processor machine??

Thanks in advance for any info.

Arun Subramaniyan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply From: Dixon, Dusty
Date: Sep/20/01 - 10:55 (GMT)

Re: Dual Processor
Yes.