PDA

View Full Version : Go away dimension reference!

patricks
2006-04-03, 03:08 PM
On some occasions I may have a dimension string that dimensions various wall and window locations, and I might want to get rid of one of the interior dimension reference lines to get a more overall dimension. So I click on Edit Witness Lines, which of course highlights everything that the dimension string is referencing to. Now say if I want to get rid of the reference to a wall. The wall's centerline is shown in red. When I highlight that centerline, sometimes it will just add a dimension of 0" (and another witness line) into the string, instead of taking away the original witness line I had wanted. Could this be because my wall centerline and core centerline are overlapping?

dfriesen
2006-04-03, 06:28 PM
When I highlight that centerline, sometimes it will just add a dimension of 0" (and another witness line) into the string, instead of taking away the original witness line I had wanted. Could this be because my wall centerline and core centerline are overlapping?
I've seen that too, and I expect it's probably as you say - there are two references at the same place. A workaround might be to select the dimension string, drag the grip to "move witness line" to another object that's on its own, and then use the Edit Witness Line button.

TheRevitGeek
2006-04-03, 10:26 PM
I maybe misunderstanding the question but if you Right Click on the actual grip of the witness line you want to get rid of you can then say delete witness line. Revit is weird in many cases where you can RC on the actual grip and get different options. If this has nothing to do with what you want then just ignore me most people do :)

dfriesen
2006-04-03, 11:01 PM
I maybe misunderstanding the question but if you Right Click on the actual grip of the witness line you want to get rid of you can then say delete witness line.
Ah, that's better than my kludgy method - thanks for making me look bad.:|

If this has nothing to do with what you want then just ignore me most people do :)
How can we ignore you if...
;)

cphubb
2006-04-04, 03:55 AM
Hit the nail on the head Brian. We have made similar mistakes trying to remove a witness only to get the 0" dimension. FYI as far as I know the only way to get rid of the 0" is to delete and redo the entire string.

Gadget Man
2006-04-04, 05:54 AM
...FYI as far as I know the only way to get rid of the 0" is to delete and redo the entire string.
Well, that may be (and often is) the easiest way to do it.

However, sometimes, if you have a very long string of dimensions (ie. many objects dimensioned) and you can't be bothered to dimension them all again, I find, that when you "drag" an "offending" node on the witness line in question to some another object, the said dimension will "split" or "open-up" (from "0") to let you to adjust it easier... Although, to pick on the right node the first time, is a fifty-fifty chance and that may be frustrating...

ejburrell67787
2006-04-04, 10:41 AM
if you Right Click on the actual grip of the witness line you want to get rid of you can then say delete witness line. Excellent tip, wasn't aware of that. Cheers! :beer:

Elmo
2006-04-04, 10:48 AM
I agree that is a fantastic tip !!

gab.83408
2006-04-06, 12:02 PM
Try using display order, bring your dim. to the top and then try editing. Just brain storming.