PDA

View Full Version : Amatureish installation.

jpostlewait
2006-04-03, 11:57 PM
Amateurish installation (0 replies)
Posted by: jpostlewait
Date: Apr/03/06 - 23:25 (GMT)
When I build systems I usually create a fictitious user profile to install software with in order to keep from having to login repeatedly.
Installed Revit structural Sat. on a new machine under a user name of nobody.
Today when the end user came in, I got his Domain password to populate his profile and deleted the user account of nobody and deleted the folder of nobody in doc's and settings.
Guess what happened when I tried to launch Revit Structural?
Guess what happened when I went to add and remove programs to repair or uninstall Revit Structural?
For the first time in my career I could neither uninstall or launch a software that was installed on a computer.
If Adesk is going to beat the Revit drum as hard as they have the last couple of years, somebody needs to take the code writers aside and tell them how to write an installer.

John Postlewait
IS Department
George Butler Associates, Inc.

I posted this in the Autodesk discussion group and I'm posting it here because the Revit crowd seems to be a little more active here. I know this is a rant but for ****'s sake can you write a frickin' installer?

Steve_Stafford
2006-04-04, 01:09 AM
Venting here and in the Autodesk NG probably made you feel a little better? Now you'll need to vent in the proper location, Revit Support. Contact them via your Subscription Account. Explain to them what you did and why so they can address it if possible.

What you describe sounds odd since I believe user specific data is normally stored in ALL USERS. Otherwise all other installation files and folders are stored in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk Revit Structure X

jpostlewait
2006-04-04, 02:31 PM
Actually it did help to vent in both newsgroups.
The call to reseller support was louder than usual also.
Install log said everything was fine.
Was rather bizarre and happened at an inopportune time.