PDA

View Full Version : Browser Organization - Subfolders

sfraney
2006-04-04, 08:05 PM
Hi,

I'm working on a project that has several types of plans, i.e. floor plans, electrical plans, framing plans, etc. These plans are starting to get rather lengthy in my Project Browser window. Is it possible to create subfolders to help organize my plans. For example, it would be nice to have a floor plan folder which would have subfolders where i could organize these different plans, such as a separate electrical plan folder, a framing plan folder, etc. Is this possible to do?

Scott D Davis
2006-04-04, 08:18 PM
You can use some of the tools that come with Revit to organize your browser. Click on the top level of your browser list, where it says Views, and then look a the properties pull-down. You've got several ways of re-organizing the browser using Folders and Filters. You can set the folders to "group" by discipline, which would allow you to separate your views into floor plans, framing plans, etc. You can organize by phase, discipline, view type, on sheets (or not on sheets) etc.

Paul Andersen
2006-04-04, 08:19 PM
Wes covered this topic pretty thoroughly in this post. (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=35295)

Justin Marchiel
2006-04-05, 11:07 PM
Wes covered this topic pretty thoroughly in this post. (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=35295)

Great post! Does anyone know to do some organization for sheets? I dont see a parameter for sheets....

Justin

Rols
2006-04-06, 02:46 AM
Great post! Does anyone know to do some organization for sheets? I dont see a parameter for sheets....

Justin
Just use the same procedure that Wes describes, but instead of applying the parameter to drawing views, apply it to sheets only.
Then, go into the browser orgainization settings. There you will see a seperate tab for drawing sheets, where you can sort your sheets by the parameter you made.

Justin Marchiel
2006-04-06, 03:34 PM
Just use the same procedure that Wes describes, but instead of applying the parameter to drawing views, apply it to sheets only.
Then, go into the browser orgainization settings. There you will see a seperate tab for drawing sheets, where you can sort your sheets by the parameter you made.

that is my problem. in the same dialogue box where i select the views catagory i can't seem to find the sheets catagory. am i missing something?

Justin

greg.mcdowell
2006-04-06, 06:02 PM
They're called "Drawing Sheets" in the Project Parameters dialog.

Wes Macaulay
2006-04-06, 06:07 PM
Greg's got it. And then you can do to sheets what you can do to views -- sort them into folders. Don't forget to check out how you can use the leading characters of the sheet number to sort the sheets as well -- no additional parameter needed.

Justin Marchiel
2006-04-06, 06:33 PM
They're called "Drawing Sheets" in the Project Parameters dialog.

AAAAHHH great! that was what i was looking for.

THanks

Justin

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-13, 04:00 PM
This was a great topic.

I want to see if we can expand it to sort schedules. I don't see any sorting available for schedules, so i dont think that it will work, but i am checking to see if i overlooking something.

THanks

Justin

dbaldacchino
2006-06-13, 05:41 PM
No Schedule filtering/browser organization capabilies. I would love to have some options as our schedules (those on sheets, those we use for QC, etc) are getting to be lengthy and in desperate need of organization.

Rols
2006-06-14, 01:33 PM
I shudder to even suggest this because it's so "Autocadish" (emphasis on the ish).

You could use a simple naming convention to sort your schedules:
ID-Floor Finish Legend
ID-Wall Finish Legend
KN-Elevation Keynote Legend
KN-Section Keynote Legend
QC-Wall Height Schedule
QC-Window Head Height Schedule

dbaldacchino
2006-06-14, 02:20 PM
I'm already doing that as it's the only way we can make sense out of all the schedules :) The problem is that those that go on sheets have to be named as you want their titles to appear. Schedules don't have a property similar to "Title on sheet" for views, so your naming choices are limited.

cphubb
2006-06-14, 08:44 PM
I shudder to even suggest this because it's so "Autocadish" (emphasis on the ish).

You could use a simple naming convention to sort your schedules:
ID-Floor Finish Legend
ID-Wall Finish Legend
KN-Elevation Keynote Legend
KN-Section Keynote Legend
QC-Wall Height Schedule
QC-Window Head Height Schedule

Even though we are sorting our views and sheets and schedules, we also name with a prefix and suffix to the name in case they get misfiled in the browser people know where it goes. It also is handy when we switch to a different browser view such as phase or not on sheets etc.

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-15, 03:43 PM
I would like the idea of sorting becasue as noted you can have lots of schedules. Even with the naming convension, you are still looking at all the schedules. would be nice to sort them so you could just open the folder for the particular grouping.

Name on sheet would be a nice touch too.

Justin

Rols
2006-06-16, 05:22 PM
FACTORY:
We have 2 wishlist items here:
1. The addition of a "Title on Sheet" parameter for schedules. For sorting purposes, we users may want to name a schedule that really doesn't work as a title.
2. The ability to assign project parameters to schedules. We can do this for views and drawing sheets, but not schedules. Project parameters come in handy in customizing the project browser.

Thanks in advance!