PDA

View Full Version : subterranean parking garage

cparsons
2006-04-04, 09:23 PM
hi all,

i have done some searching and it the prognosis is not good. the scenario is that we have a subterranean parking garage that is not under the building. So the topo would need to "cover" and/or "wrap" the parking garage.

how would you all model this? is it possible?

i have attached a section and 3d view...

thanks,
chris

cparsons
2006-04-04, 09:44 PM
Here's the response from subscription support...

"I am thinking that about the only option you are going to have is to model a mass to cover the area above the roof of the garage that is not covered by the building. Assign a cut pattern of earth to the mass and a material of grass or whatever you wish to the surface. I really do not have any other suggestions for you, I am sorry, however that can make a pretty close approximation. You would, of course, need to add some "topo lines" with a model line or detail line tool if there are large grade changes."

Not a bad solution...any others?

Steve_Stafford
2006-04-04, 09:45 PM
I was thinking an in-place topography family...

cparsons
2006-04-04, 09:47 PM
why the "" around site. you mean another family type that is saved as a site cateopry?

Steve_Stafford
2006-04-04, 10:00 PM
Edited my post before reading your reply, I meant topography family and put the quotes around "site" because I couldn't remember if I could make an in-place topo family, you can...checked. Which is why I edited my first reply, then saw yours.

Wanderer
2006-04-04, 10:03 PM
I know this isn't the gallery, but,

cool model! :)
I've got an underground garage beneath a park in my facility, but, it was designed in the 70's, so no neat models from the project.

hi all,

i have done some searching and it the prognosis is not good. the scenario is that we have a subterranean parking garage that is not under the building. So the topo would need to "cover" and/or "wrap" the parking garage.

how would you all model this? is it possible?

i have attached a section and 3d view...

thanks,
chris

ajayholland
2006-04-04, 11:42 PM
I’ve been thinking about this for a while. There are some limitations to this method. Chris, it may not work for your example.

1. Model your topography for the entire site.

2. Split the topography around the perimeter of the building. Keep the topography above the structure. Cut (to clipboard) the surrounding topography, paste (origin to origin) into a secondary “site” file.

3. Edit the topography in the “site” file and remove the “hole” that was created by splitting. Create a site “pad” in this file, matching the building perimeter, and set its elevation to the bottom of the structure. Link this “site” file back to the original.

4. In the original file, set the “Elevation of poche base” to the top of the structure.

By this method, you may have topography both above and below the structure (in section views). Unfortunately, the display does not persist in 3d sections.

~AJH

Andre Baros
2006-04-05, 12:49 AM
I posted a work around a while back using linked files... you can link in some shallow topo on top of your cut away topo, and since the depth of the topo is set per file, the linked file can have shallow topo which won't extend down over your garage.
I think this is the link
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=12440&highlight=wine+topo

cparsons
2006-04-05, 01:04 AM
thanks all! i'll post results.