PDA

View Full Version : Printing to EPS from Revit.....

leediggle
2006-04-05, 11:13 AM
...Is this acheivable?

We are having issues with generating decent un-rendered images form Revit. We are often in a rush and do not have the time to render images and are therefore looking for alternatives.

We know we can use .pdf but I have read a thread here where some-one hints at being able to print files to eps format. Doed anyone know how this is done?

gbrowne
2006-04-05, 11:57 AM
Haven't tried it, but if you have Illustrator, you can do the revit-pdf-illustrator-EPS dance?

or try this thread..

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=36152&highlight=files

aggockel50321
2006-04-05, 11:57 AM
You'd need a windows driver to print to eps, to do it directly from Revit.

I haven't used this (http://www.toppdf.com/artprint/document-printer/eps-printer.html) one, but saw it recently. It may do what you want.

cphubb
2006-04-05, 03:08 PM
Pretty much any good PS printer driver set to file will work.
We use our HP755PS driver and get good results using distiller to make PDF from EPS.

narlee
2006-04-05, 11:21 PM
Forgive me, but what is "EPS?"

aaronrumple
2006-04-06, 12:10 AM
Ecapsulated Postscript file.... Really the same as a PS file, but has information about how it could be inserted into another file using a bounding box. That's the E part. The PS part is information for getting graphics printed.

arskrasows
2006-04-06, 01:18 AM
That is not possible yet. If you have Autocad, you can transfer to dwg and then print to eps2 in the printers option. The result is excellent.

I think this is a topic that could be in the Revit wishlist, since many people don't have Autocad and exporting to jpeg. from Revit even at 600dpi is not a good option.

Phil Read
2006-04-06, 02:47 AM
That is not possible yet. If you have Autocad, you can transfer to dwg and then print to eps2 in the printers option. Incorrect. You *can* print EPS files directly from Revit with no conversion/exporting. The resolution is extraordinary. All you need to install a Postscript driver (free from Adobe) which utilizes a PDD (Printer Definition File - just read further down the same link). Here's the download site for both drivers:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=44&platform=Windows

HP 755CM PDD file is really great. You can keep the EPS files as is - or convert to PDF. Again - fantastic resolution. Basically you're Printing to File. To simplify things I change the default extension from *.plt to *.eps before printing.

Here's an EPS and PDF from the Revit Hotel (R5) project. Plotting this sheet as an EPS took about 20 seconds.

All the best -

Phil

dbaldacchino
2006-04-06, 07:13 AM
I did this a week ago, but have not been successful. For some reason, when I do a print preview, everything is fine and dandy, shows up centered as expected on the sheet. Once it prints and I open the eps, it's offset and half the drawing is cut off the sheet. I'm using exactly the drivers in your link.

I'm quite disappointed in the export to jpg function with Revit by the way. For some quick presentations on 11x17, you can export shaded views just fine, but if you want to enlarge, say on 24x30, the jpg looks bad, regardless of what resolution/size you set it. You have to render to get a decent result. This was the reason I was thinking of using eps files.

gbrowne
2006-04-06, 07:42 AM
For that very reason, we print off as .pdf. Resolution is much better.

Phil Read
2006-04-06, 12:08 PM
I did this a week ago, but have not been successful. For some reason, when I do a print preview, everything is fine and dandy, shows up centered as expected on the sheet. Once it prints and I open the eps, it's offset and half the drawing is cut off the sheet.From the Setup button, look at the Paper Placement option. Try selecting Printer Limit.

-Phil

dbaldacchino
2006-04-07, 06:43 AM
Thanks Phil...I'll give it a try.

GuyR
2006-04-07, 08:22 AM
but if you want to enlarge, say on 24x30, the jpg looks bad, regardless of what resolution/size you set it.

print to ps then converting to a jpg, tiff etc is easy. Using redmon you can do a straight ps->pdf conversion or ps->jpeg.

Be warned, If you have lots of shaded views in your plots the ps files will be HUGE. eg: A recent 11 page ps with shaded views on nearly every sheet was 158MB!! The pdf 2MB ;-)

Guy

dbaldacchino
2006-04-07, 02:36 PM
Phil I tried the Printer Limit setting to no avail....page shifted up even though the print preview works fine. I might have to fiddle around with the manual offsets. One other peculiar thing about this generic printer is that it doesn't find the fonts and thus, shows little boxes instead of text characters. Using GhostScript to print to PDF file using the same HP 755 printer as the driver, works fine.

EDIT: SImilarly to what GuyR pointed out, the PDF result was about 1/5 the EPS file size.

AP23
2006-04-07, 03:20 PM
Is there a way to print to eps or pdf on a windows XP 64 bit? I've posted this question on adobe's website, but didn't get any good answer.