PDA

View Full Version : Print list of DWG's from Windows Explorer

johan d
2006-04-07, 02:09 PM
Not an autocad question, but i'll give it a try.

How can i print all the dwg's in a certain directory with "last modification date" (as in windows explorer). I want to have the paper which i can send with the CD that contains the same dwg's.

H-Angus
2006-04-07, 02:32 PM

How can i print all the dwg's in a certain directory with "last modification date" (as in windows explorer). I want to have the paper which i can send with the CD that contains the same dwg's.

Through windows explorer go to the folder containing the dwgs you want and ensure it is set to details view. Hold down the Alt key and press print screen button (next to F12), then open word right click and paste. You may then want to crop the image to your liking.

Augi Doggie
2006-04-07, 02:37 PM

There may be better ways, but I've always done the cheap and easy screen shot of the directory.

Press CTRL + Print screen and Paste it into Windows Paint and save it as a .BMP or a .JPG.

It's an image but you can print it and save it for your records.

ralphsanchez
2006-04-07, 03:38 PM
If you're familiar with the command line, this is very easy to do.

1) Open a command window (start, CMD, <enter>).
2a) Navigate to the appropraite drive (X: <enter>)
2b) Navigate to the directory in question (cd\myproject\myfolder)
3) execute the dir command, filtering for DWG files, and refirect the output to a text file: (DIR *.dwg > MYINDEX.TXT)

For what it's worth, microsoft has a very nice "powertoy" called "command prompt here" that makes it easy to combine steps 1 and 2.

H-Angus
2006-04-07, 03:46 PM
If you're familiar with the command line, this is very easy to do.

1) Open a command window (start, CMD, <enter>).
2a) Navigate to the appropraite drive (X: <enter>)
2b) Navigate to the directory in question (cd\myproject\myfolder)
3) execute the dir command, filtering for DWG files, and refirect the output to a text file: (DIR *.dwg > MYINDEX.TXT)

For what it's worth, microsoft has a very nice "powertoy" called "command prompt here" that makes it easy to combine steps 1 and 2.

Cool! Didn't know that one.

.T.
2006-04-07, 03:58 PM
DIR also has switches to control what it outputs. Type dir /? at the dos prompt for a list. I have found /B to be particularly useful.

zoomharis
2006-04-07, 04:14 PM
Cool! Didn't know that one.
That's the way I used to create script files for batch processing before using a script generator program. There are several filter options with DIR command. Just type DIR/? to get help on it. For those who don't know much about Command prompt navigation, they can try the following syntax.

DIR [Drive] [Path] [Search Criteria] >> [Drive] [Path] [Desired List File Name]

for example, suppose you have some dwg files in C:\Project\Drawings folder; You can use the following command to create a list in the same folder directly typing the following in the command prompt.

DIR C:\Project\Drawings\*.dwg >> C:\Project\Drawings\DwgList.txt

It will create the list in the drawings folder irrespective of your current location. To fine tune the list and remove unnecessary columns, import the text file into excel (Data Menu-->Import External Data-->Import Data (I am using MS Excel 2003)). Choose Fixed Width option to seperate columns based on the spaces. It's a really cool and easy task.

HTH
har!s

GreyHippo
2006-04-07, 04:15 PM
I got a tip from pcworld that creates a right click menu item while in explorer that will create a text file that lists all files and files dates. I tried to search for it on the pcworld website but came up empty. You could try to dig for it a little more than I did on pcworld.com to try and find it.

I also use another program called Karen's Print directory (I am pretty sure its free) that can filter file listings with a bunch of attricutes.

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

hope this helps

jaberwok
2006-04-07, 07:57 PM
There is also a programme "PrintDir" that is freely available.