PDA

View Full Version : Hanging column help

david_peterson
2006-04-07, 03:32 PM
While working on my platform, I used the cope tool to cut the top of my HSS hanger with the bottom flange on the beam above (level 3). Now I need to hang a beam off of my HSS. Is there a way to lock the column start point (bottom) to be 1/2" lower than the bottom of the connecting beam? If not I think this type of (reverse cope?) tool would be a great wish list item.

Paul Andersen
2006-04-07, 05:00 PM
David, I had a quick look at this. I take it you're trying to establish a relationship between the end of the hanger and the bottom flange of the connecting beam such that if the elevation of the hung beam is adjusted or if the member size changes the relationship will be maintained?

I attempted to cut the hanger end with a reference plane that I then constrained to the bottom of the connecting beam with a locked dimension (1/2") but no dice. It resulted in a constraints not satisfied error when the beam size was flexed or elevation adjusted. I guess at the very least this could serve as a warning that your design intent has been damaged and could then manually fix it. I'll post back if I come up with anything else.

david_peterson
2006-04-07, 05:49 PM
Paul thanks for the effort. I'm attaching the model that I completed for anyone to play with. I'm just glad they are using HSS beams so it's real easy to do the math. If you come up with any better solution other than "manual" let me know.
I think it'd be great if you could select any plane to attach a column to, not just levels.
One of the main reasons we are going the Revit/ADT/3d route is for coordination between our structure and the MEP systems. With the amount of hangers and mid-level framing that goes on in these type of facilities w/ all the intensive MEP systems. It'd be nice not to have to create levels for stair landings, lower framing, upper framing and such. I've done a platform that would have needed about 10 levels and the thing was only 10' tall. Levels at 6" intervals doesn't seem that convenient. I think this would be a great added feature. One that lets you set the top and bottom constraint based off the plane of other member faces.
Thanks again Paul