PDA

View Full Version : 8.1 Printing Bug

bowlingbrad
2006-04-10, 01:02 PM
Has anyone seen this one? I selected print within a sheet view and I cannot select anything other than "Selected Views/Sheets".

See screen shot.

bowlingbrad
2006-04-10, 01:04 PM
Follow up...

STC - now it works fine. :screwy:

I'm sending an FYI to support....

patricks
2006-04-10, 01:42 PM
You don't need to report anything. The drawing window has to be the "active" window to print anything other than a set of views/sheets. If you click once over in the project browser (project browser's title bar highlights) and you click print, your only option will be Print Selected Views. If you click back in the drawing window, all options will be available.

Max Lloyd
2006-04-10, 01:43 PM
I've seen it lots of times before. I'm sure it has something to do with a viewport being selected at the time you hit the print button, but I can't get mine to replicate the problems now that I'm trying!

Max Lloyd
2006-04-10, 01:46 PM
You don't need to report anything. The drawing window has to be the "active" window to print anything other than a set of views/sheets. If you click once over in the project browser (project browser's title bar highlights) and you click print, your only option will be Print Selected Views. If you click back in the drawing window, all options will be available.
Thats it! I knew it was something like that.

bowlingbrad
2006-04-10, 01:56 PM
Thanks Patrick!

Maybe the factory could put a little more info in the plot dialog. It just seems confusing....

patricks
2006-04-10, 02:12 PM
well if you think about it, if the drawing window is not active, then there is no "current view" or portion thereof to be printed, only the views listed in the project browser, so it actually makes sense that Select Views would be the only available option. You have to be active in the drawing window to print the view or part of the view.

LRaiz
2006-04-10, 02:54 PM
Many users were confused by this behavior. The explanation given by patricks does make sense but I think the Factory can still make an improvement.

Consider current behavior of many existing commands that require graphical input, e.g. Wall. When user changes active window Wall button grays out or not depending on active window. For example Wall button becomes inaccessible in elevation views. However if user works in a plan view and then clicks on browser window Wall command continues being accessible. Revit remembers what was the last active graphical window just before user clicked on the browser and many commands requiring graphical input (including Wall) would continue being accessible and would automatically reactivate this last graphical window if selected. In effect, activation of browser window is transparent for these commands. I am speculating that the same behaviour may be extended for Print command as well.

So if people think that this is really important then they don't have to be satisfied with an explanation and may open service requests for improvement,

bowlingbrad
2006-04-10, 06:00 PM
I think Leonid has it. Selection of a view(s) from the browser shouldn't disable the 'current view' selection of the plot dialog. The dialog should just default to 'selected views'. If the user selects 'current view' then the current view should plot.

I'm sorry for starting a thread pertaining to this minor issue. I will stop now. Many appologies.

Scott D Davis
2006-04-10, 08:35 PM
Leonid,

Does any of this go back to the fact that we used to be able to print the project browser? I dont remember which version that stopped in.

LRaiz
2006-04-10, 11:48 PM
Leonid,

Does any of this go back to the fact that we used to be able to print the project browser? I dont remember which version that stopped in.
Not really