PDA

View Full Version : "Reload From" doesn't change names

Scott D Davis
2006-04-11, 02:49 AM
I've found that Linked DWGs, upon using the Reload From tool, will rename the Link in the Manage Links dialog box, but does not rename the linked file in the Imported catagory of the View/Visibility settings.

My MEP engineers sent us lighting plans early in the project called E3.2.dwg. Now, the updated files are named E6.2.dwg. I can use Reload From and locate the newer drawing, but then it gets *really* confusing, because the name in the Manage Links dialog box does not match anything else in the file. This name needs to get passed down through all the different areas in Revit.

Wes Macaulay
2006-04-11, 04:45 AM
Ouch! Thanks for the heads-up... that's worth sending in a CSR, huh? :shock:

The good news is you can rename the DWG in Object Styles. But thaaat's a pretty boring task: Revit should do this automatically.

twiceroadsfool
2006-04-11, 11:47 AM
Interestingly enough, i just noticed that old versions of AutoCAD do the same thing. I exported a CAD site plan to PS, then brought it back in for notations and whatnot. When the design changed, i changed the name of the PS doc, so i didnt write over v1 of it. Now, in autocad, i had to keep *reloading from*, because the link was still looking for the v1 file name. I ended up just relinking it, but i thought it was funny cuz for ten minutes i didnt pick up on why it didnt look right, lol...

frank.graham
2006-04-25, 02:40 PM
Have you had any trouble with the linked CAD files just going away. This morning I was in the process of working on a site plan and with out saving to central or reloading latest the CAD file removed it self from the manage links window. Do you have any idea how this could happen. We upgraded to Revit 9 last week and have been having trouble keeping the linked CAD files under control. Lots of strange things just like this.???

greg.mcdowell
2006-04-25, 03:02 PM
This is the way that AutoCAD's been dealing with Xrefs from as far back as I can remember. The xref (or linked drawing in this case) doesn't have to be the same name as the file and I will often, particularly when I think the file name will be changing, give the xref a more generic name (like Elec-3rd Floor). But that was AutoCAD... I'm not sure if Revit should keep this strategy or change it as suggested...