PDA

View Full Version : Revit 9 backwards compatible?

matthewh.104177
2006-04-11, 09:31 PM
My firm is doing a revit pilot project and I'd like to update to Revit 9 from 8.1, but there has been concern about the structural firm working with us being forced to upgrade to Revit Structure 3. This is their first Revit project as well, but I don't want to miss out on Revit 9 features while I wait for them to upgrade. Does anyone know about this sort of compatibility?

Steve_Stafford
2006-04-11, 09:46 PM
Yes, your consultant will need to use RS 3 if you upgrade to RB 9. Do you know why they concerned about upgrading to RS3?

matthewh.104177
2006-04-11, 09:57 PM
I don't know if their concernced about RS 3. But we're in the middle of a project with them and would have to coordinate an upgrade. This is their first Revit project, though, to test the waters, so to speak. I think they just got the software not too long ago, and they might not be willing to upgrade right away, especially as they're not fully committed yet.

So I have to wait until we're done working on this project with them or they decide to upgrade, I guess.

Steve_Stafford
2006-04-11, 10:10 PM
I'd discuss it with them. There really isn't a compelling reason to avoid an upgrade. The software is sold on subscription so it isn't a cost factor. Time to relearn isn't a factor since the software isn't changing fundamentally. Sure, new features are added and improvements are made but the workflow remains stable. They would be comfortable in the new version in minutes and unless they are looking for the new features they wouldn't notice a difference.

Obviously upgrading a COPY of the project is the responsible thing to do, for them, for you...just in case :wink: it is software after all.