PDA

View Full Version : Rotate to Project North/True North?!

jond
2006-04-12, 12:59 AM
Revit says on the help menu to rotate a project to true north one must...

On the Settings menu, click Locations and Coordinates Specify Coordinates at a Point

I dont have this option on my drop down under Settings in 8.1....

muttlieb
2006-04-12, 01:21 AM
At some point they moved it to Tools > Project Position/Orientation > Rotate True North. I guess someone forgot to update the help file.

cadclips81126
2006-04-12, 01:31 AM
Yes this is one of the few errors in the REVIT help.

The good news is there is a great free video CADCLIP on Relocating Project North at the link below.

You can play this CADCLIP link while it buffers or you can right click and 'save target as..' to download the files.

www.dgcad.com/downloads/CADCLIP-TRUE-NORTH-PROJECT-NORTH.wmv

Lots more free video tutorials at www.dgcad.com

Enjoy
DG

RobG
2006-04-12, 08:01 PM
along the same idea/lines...

http://revit-alize.blogspot.com/

there's a great blog about north and project north from the 18th of February

bowlingbrad
2006-04-12, 08:20 PM
I guess I'm still very gray on this one too. I rotate the elevation tags to their correct "project north" locations (Beegee says no in his blog) . I then go to the site plan and rotate to "true north". This gives me the correct n,s,e,w elevation tags as well as having a site plan that is oriented to true north.

Can someone please explain why rotating the elevation tags is a bad thing? I'm a little confused....

Steve_Stafford
2006-04-12, 08:44 PM
Not bad, just don't have to do it...the command will do that automatically in any view assigned to True North once it has been established.

Revit wants us to be selfish first, draw the building so it fits on paper nicely. Then when we decide how it will sit on site, Rotate True North to tell Revit what it really is. We get into trouble when we try to be clever and start off with True North, sketching the building this way and trying to go the other way. The command just doesn't support that workflow.

aaronrumple
2006-04-12, 09:00 PM
We get into trouble when we try to be clever and start off with True North, sketching the building this way and trying to go the other way. The command just doesn't support that workflow.It should.

If I'm doing a development - I start with a site plan. It is oriented true north (one sitting right in front of me as I type.) I do massing, develop some schematics, etc. Now I want the more technical drawings and need True to Plan North rotation as I didn't know what would be the best plan north at the time.

beegee
2006-04-13, 01:15 AM
That's the workflow that my blog (http://revit-alize.blogspot.com/) covers.

But yes, a button to achieve this would be welcome.:)

It should.

If I'm doing a development - I start with a site plan. It is oriented true north (one sitting right in front of me as I type.) I do massing, develop some schematics, etc. Now I want the more technical drawings and need True to Plan North rotation as I didn't know what would be the best plan north at the time.

Steve_Stafford
2006-04-13, 01:49 AM
It shouldAgreed, not suggesting otherwise...