PDA

View Full Version : DB with Attribute reading right with rotation?

KansasCAD
2006-04-14, 12:58 PM
Hello,
I have created a dynamic block of a storm sewer inlet for use in our civil applications. We normally put an attribute inside of a circle or ellipse next to the inlet that "numbers" the inlet and refers back to a schedule of inlets and manholes. I have the block working for all of the "pre cast" sizes that we use but would like to attach the attribute but need it to read from the bottom of the sheet no matter how the block itself is rotated. It would be nice to also allow the attribute within the ellipse to be grip edited and moved when it conflicts with other text. Is this at all possible? Any guidance or help would be greatly appreciated. I don't see too many civil blocks being shared. Is there any other place to look?
Thanks
Daryl

cvaughn
2006-04-14, 04:59 PM
I'm listening in. I've got to do the same thing with some electrical blocks. I'd like the switches (three-way, four-way) to have a stationary number depending on the rotation of the block.

kwong
2006-04-16, 01:59 PM
Hi dstandri,
Is this similar to what you're looking for?
kwong

KansasCAD
2006-04-17, 12:23 PM
Hello,
Yes that is kind of what I need except that when we insert the storm inlet, the easiest time to rotate it is upon insertion. The insertion point is at the edge of road at a specified station and then it would be rotated "perpendicular" to the back of curb line. When I tried that with your sample the attribute in the ellipse was also rotated with the block. It would be great if when this block was in a viewport with a different rotation than the model that the attribute would "read correctly". That might be too much to ask for but I had to give it a shot. Thanks and let me know if you come up with anything else.

Daryl

kwong
2006-04-17, 01:17 PM
Hi Daryl,

I'm not sure if you're using it correctly, but you don't actually rotate the dynamic block itself. After inserting IL.dwg into your drawing, when you select the block, a big blue circle & a square appear. When you click on the blue circle (it turns red) & drag it around, the pointed circle rotates without moving the attribute, and when you click on the square & drag, the attribute moves independently of the pointed circle. Have a look at attached PDF. Hope that helps.
kwong

KansasCAD
2006-04-17, 01:24 PM
Sorry for the confusion. I dis see that your block worked that way. I was trying to explain how we would like to insert "our" block of a storm sewer inlet. I suppose we could insert our block and then rotate it in an additional step. I was just trying to reduce the number of steps needed to drop our block in. I will give your idea a try and run it past the rest of the CAD department and see what they think.
Thanks again for the fast reply. I have posted questions on the Autodesk web site and never got a response. I am starting to begin here and have been getting better answers alot quicker. Thanks again.

Daryl

KansasCAD
2006-04-17, 01:50 PM
Hello again,

I tried to add the rotate feature to my block but have some problems. After it is rotated then the lookup tables do not stretch it correctly. I have included two blocks, the one named "Inlet-Type22" is the one that works the way I need it to, just doesn't have a rotate feature. The other block named"Inlet-Type22-Rot" is the one I added the rotate feature to. To see what I am talking about insert the second block and use the rotate feature. Then try to use the lookup tables and it stretches the block in an odd direction. Is there any way to fix that? The first one, I can rotate it manually (AutoCAD rotate) and still use the lookup tables if the inlet size changes during design. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Daryl

kwong
2006-04-18, 01:51 AM
Hi Daryl,

Block edit your Inlet-Type22-Rot.dwg and select the rotate action. Change the action selection set by removing the the 2 linear parameters W & L. That should fix it.
kwong