PDA

View Full Version : Linked files in V9 are really slow.

tbarnesarc
2006-04-14, 08:15 PM
I love the new functionality of linked files in V9 with being able to display annotation info and design options in an instance fashion. The problem is that it is really slow when changing visibility graphics settings.

Prodev75
2006-04-14, 08:24 PM
It does seem slower than normal but I’m just pleased as punch that they have finally implemented this.

tbarnesarc
2006-04-14, 08:32 PM
It does seem slower than normal but I’m just pleased as punch that they have finally implemented this.I love it too, but it almost unusable due to performance. I was just testing an existing project that I am working to see if it was worth taking it into V9. I have 4 building files that have a number units in them. Each unit has a design option based if it on the end of a building or not. This functionality in V9 would work perfect for it because there are design options avaible on an instance basis. I wouldn't have to save out each design option as a seperate file everytime I made a change to the unit files.

Scott D Davis
2006-04-14, 08:44 PM
In order for linked files to work well in 9.0, each of your files that are linked must all be upgraded first. The host and the linked files must all be 9.0, or you will take a performance hit as Revit "upgrades" every linked file on opening.

tbarnesarc
2006-04-14, 08:46 PM
In order for linked files to work well in 9.0, each of your files that are linked must all be upgraded first. The host and the linked files must all be 9.0, or you will take a performance hit as Revit "upgrades" every linked file on opening.Did that already. Each unit file was upgraded and "audited" as well as the building file. It is still really slow. I submitted a support request just to let them know.

Prodev75
2006-04-14, 09:42 PM
My current project is at about...

110MB master file
Subfile 1 at 33MB
Subfile 2 17MB
Subfile 3 9MB
Subfile 4 7MB

No design options [knocking on wood]

Right now it’s not doing to bad. I hardly notice the difference unless querying the linked Subfiles. There doesn’t seem to be too much information to gather yet. As this project matures….. Well... I’ll keep my figures crossed

Hopefully we’ll get a new build in the near future that helps with the performance issues that some of us are having.

Mr Spot
2006-04-14, 10:22 PM
I've been working on creating a mirrored version of a building using this new feature. So far performance has made it a VERY VERY slow process (linked file is about 33MB), but i know research is currently being done to improve this.

Two issues i've come across for those thinking of doing the same.
1. Sections/elevations can't be linked.
2. Can't tag elements in the link.
3. Signage gets mirrored, we need a signage category family that doesn't mirror so we don't end up with backwards text (not just stopping model text from flipping as some of our text is created by extrusions).

Cheers.

mmodernc
2006-04-14, 10:46 PM
It seems that you still cannot edit a linked file in the host file. So you need to have more than one session of Revit open at once (which I have been advised is dangerous) and reload into the host file or you have to unload the linked file, edit it and reload. If the file linking setup is slower now, this will take even more time.
Am I wrong or is this a V10 item or is it impossible programming-wise.
Being able to have control over detail/items is great,

ajayholland
2006-04-15, 11:53 PM
All,

I have a very large mixed use project in which we have separately modeled the podium (75mb), its structural framing (25mb), subterranean garage (35mb), and two 55+ storey residential towers (avg. 50mb each). We have links going in every direction, and we have a composite model with all the separate components linked together.

We took the project to the beta version 9 two weeks before the official release. Among the range of new features, our primary interest was the ability to assemble our construction documents from a single "host" file.

To add to the mystery, we have not experienced the kind of slow down that has been reported here and in the beta forums.

~AJH

Wes Macaulay
2006-04-17, 03:08 PM
I wonder if files started "fresh" in R9 are less likely to have the slowdown issues that upgraded files seem to have... at least it shows that the Factory's testing probably didn't include slow files, so they never intended performance to tank with this new feature!

tbarnesarc
2006-04-17, 05:07 PM
I think it's slow due to more info being shown in the linked files; i.e. 2d info and notes etc. The slowness in my circumstance is when modifying "Visibility Graphics". Going from tab to tab takes forever.

Nic M.
2006-04-17, 05:48 PM
I think it's slow due to more info being shown in the linked files; i.e. 2d info and notes etc. The slowness in my circumstance is when modifying "Visibility Graphics". Going from tab to tab takes forever.I have the same feeling. Setting up views (modifying VG) with linked files is so slow regenerate after regenerate.
I have no experience with "fresh" 9.0 files, only upgrades

ilya.bass
2006-04-17, 08:55 PM
I have the same feeling. Setting up views (modifying VG) with linked files is so slow regenerate after regenerate.
I have no experience with "fresh" 9.0 files, only upgrades

The Factory is looking into this.

tbarnesarc
2006-04-17, 09:03 PM
The Factory is looking into this.Yeah I sent some files for them to look at via a support request. Thank you for the info.

robert.manna
2006-04-18, 01:52 PM
The Factory is looking into this.

Just to reinforce what the factory has already said, my own contact at Revit has confirmed that they are looking into it, and that part of the issue, as people have surmised is the fact that more data is being pushed through the links (per our requests as the user base) :). So its a problem of our own making, :).

-R

mschroeder
2006-04-18, 03:45 PM
..podium (75mb), its structural framing (25mb), subterranean garage (35mb), and two 55+ storey residential towers (avg. 50mb each). We have links going in every direction, and we have a composite model with all the separate components linked together..

.. assemble our construction documents from a single "host" file.

We've had a similarly scaled project, broken up in an identical way. However, we ran into show stopping performance issues when we tried to load links for schedules and building sections. I was eager to see if 9 addressed performance on large linked models.
Against an 8.1 benchmark - are you finding improved, worse, or the same performance?

..they are looking into it, and that part of the issue, as people have surmised is the fact that more data is being pushed through the links..
-R

The improved functionality across links is a huge step forward, but it makes me uneasy if we have trouble aggregating models to output our deliverable. I'm going to remain optimistic until we conduct our own tests. We have a new 400K SF beast to put through the meat grinder.

tbarnesarc
2006-05-01, 11:29 PM
Dear Factory,

Can you please fix this issue ASAP. It's really slowing me down. It's hard to get work done because I am sitting there waiting for it to regen every time I change anything. I think a lot of the problem is that when you are in "Visibility / Graphics" it applies your changes once you move to another tab instead of giving you an option to apply them. Just a thought.

Regards,

Taylor A
2006-05-02, 12:00 AM
Just registering my opinion too. We rely heavily on linked files for large scale Senior development's. The linked files extra functionality was going to be great but the performance has been very disappointing. We also have serious speed issues with simply undo commands within these files. It hangs at about 90% and then takes about 45seconds to perform.
Nice to know its not just us. Look forward to a fix.

tbarnesarc
2006-05-02, 12:06 AM
Just registering my opinion too. We rely heavily on linked files for large scale Senior development's. The linked files extra functionality was going to be great but the performance has been very disappointing. We also have serious speed issues with simply undo commands within these files. It hangs at about 90% and then takes about 45seconds to perform.
Nice to know its not just us. Look forward to a fix.I have the same situation. It hangs on 90% forever.

jobcaptain
2006-05-02, 04:15 AM
Autodesk posts Tech Bulletin: Service Issues Affecting Revit 9-Based Software

Autodesk has discovered service issues that affect Autodesk Revit Building 9, Autodesk AutoCAD Revit Series--Building 9, Autodesk Revit Structure 3, and Autodesk AutoCAD Revit Series--Structure 3 software products.

A conflict within Revit-based files utilizing Links has been found to impact overall application performance. In addition, an issue within cascading network licensing for the AutoCAD Revit Series products was discovered when only the Revit-based product was installed from the Series bundle--a condition found to prevent license access.

To correct these service issues, Autodesk has created new builds containing corrections for each software product and will be available for download midweek.

Autodesk indicated we may be able to to download the new builds by end of business on Wednesday, May 3, 2006.

We've posted the download links for all Revit 9 products (http://taylor-tech.com/press/getReleaseById/383/story.html).:

tbarnesarc
2006-05-02, 07:51 PM
I got an update on my support request and this what I was told;

"This is an update to your Support Request. Our development team has tentatively scheduled to deliver a fix in the next point release of Revit. It is possible that the fix will show up in a Build that will be posted to our website before that time, but I can make no guarantees to that.

Please note: Our quality assurance teams may need to reschedule some fixes. Please rely on the above timeline information as a guideline only and not a guarantee. We appreciate your understanding in this matter. "

I just thought I would let you guys know.

Regards,

bellerdine
2006-05-15, 06:53 PM
I have a question about visibilty graphics and revit links. Back in 7.0, I used to be able to click the plus/minus sign to expand the window and see all of the model categories of the linked file, however I can't seem to do that anymore in 9.0... the list of model categories has disappeared! There is just one "check box" on the list now and it says "Unnamed (<Not Shared>)".

Is it possible to get the list back? Or has it been eliminated in 9.0 (hopefully not).

mschroeder
2006-05-15, 07:12 PM
I have a question about visibilty graphics and revit links. Back in 7.0, I used to be able to click the plus/minus sign to expand the window and see all of the model categories of the linked file, however I can't seem to do that anymore in 9.0... the list of model categories has disappeared! There is just one "check box" on the list now and it says "Unnamed (<Not Shared>)".

Is it possible to get the list back? Or has it been eliminated in 9.0 (hopefully not).

Just look a little farther to the right. Click on the button "By host view". New dialog box with all kinds of goodies.

bellerdine
2006-05-15, 07:54 PM
Thanks Michael. I actually was just shown that by our in-house Revit pro! I came back to post this information and got your reply! Thanks again.

I just found out that it is possible STILL to turn model categories on/off in a revit link. Go to VG - revit links tab - double-click 'Display Settings' - 'by host view' - Select 'Custom' - toggle on model categories in its tab (make sure 'Custom' is specified for Model Categories)