PDA

View Full Version : Gambrel Roof

harkeychad
2006-04-15, 02:29 PM
I am doing a custom home that will look like a barn and they want a Gamrel Roof with some dormers on it. I would like to know if anyone would have a a profile of a Gambrel Roof or advice on how to go about making one. I did a search on Google without any success. Thanks

trombe
2006-04-15, 08:46 PM
from Google search...
good luck
trombe

Roger Evans
2006-04-15, 09:11 PM
What would you guys call a Mansard Roof (if you use the term that is) ?

Joef
2006-04-15, 09:33 PM
My dictionary of building (second edition 1974) would indicate that the roof shown above is a gambrel roof in the US and a mansard roof in the UK. A gambrel roof in the UK is a hipped roof with a "gablet " at each end. A mansard roof in the US is a four sided gambrel, which is also called a mansard in the UK.
There will be a quiz so pay attention:).

To make one in Revit you need to use the "cutoff level" parameter, and create a second roof on top of the lower. You could also create an extruded roof.

Joe

noah
2006-04-15, 09:43 PM
I haven't tried this myself but I believe the proper way to do this is with slope arrows. Just use 2 arrows each with a different slope starting at the eave and running tail to head towards the ridge. Do the same for the other side. It seems like it should work. I'll try it when I get a chance - maybe someone else has done this before??

snurresprett9
2006-04-15, 10:08 PM
I haven't tried this myself but I believe the proper way to do this is with slope arrows. Just use 2 arrows each with a different slope starting at the eave and running tail to head towards the ridge. Do the same for the other side. It seems like it should work. I'll try it when I get a chance - maybe someone else has done this before??

Nice try at a tutorial, but it doesnt work...

Roger Evans
2006-04-15, 10:27 PM
Well my Dictionary of Architecture Second Edition 1974 was nicked circa 1975 & I always wondered where it got to

So a google circa 2 minutes ago revealed

http://thesaurus.english-heritage.org.uk/thesaurus_term.asp?thes_no=546&term_no=138180

and also

MANSARD ROOF

mansard roof, type of roof, so named because it was frequently used by the French architect François Mansart. It was not devised by him but was used early in the 16th cent., as in portions of the palace of the Louvre designed by Pierre Lescot. It became particularly characteristic of French Renaissance architecture and later was much used in Victorian buildings in Europe and America. The slope of a mansard roof from eaves to ridge is broken into two portions. The lower portion is built with a steep pitch, sometimes almost vertical; the upper portion has a low pitch or is nearly flat. This results in a higher and more useful interior space than can be obtained with other roof types.

Interestingly in the UK years ago (circa 1969 -1976) Mansards could be used cleverly (so clever I've forgotten the reasoning) to avoid being classified as walls I think Building Regs allowed an angle of 75.

sbrown
2006-04-16, 02:35 AM
Why wouldn't you just make it as a roof by extrusion and draw the shape you want in elevation?

harkeychad
2006-04-16, 03:28 PM
What I am looking for is the profile of a gambrel rafter and some guidelines on the pitches to use. Thanks for all who took time to write.

muttlieb
2006-04-16, 04:57 PM
I just completed CD's for an addition to a 1940's 'Dutch Colonial' with a gambrel roof. The footprint of the existing house is 24' x 32'. I've attached a sketch of the profile and a photo of the existing house. I didn't do this project in revit, but I think I'd use the roof by extrusion tool to create the gambrel shape. HTH

SkiSouth
2006-04-16, 05:12 PM
Not that this helps you, but HERE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=9286&highlight=framing)is a link to a building I did framed in steel with grambrel roof. Changed to wood later, but framed simply enough.

wse1
2006-04-20, 12:46 PM
Here is a house with a gambrel roof and shed dormers. See the attached. I used an extruded roof and played with it until I got the shape and position I wanted. I then added the shed dormers and used the roof tool to join the roofs. It required abit of tinkering, but I got what I wanted.

Hope it helps!

harkeychad
2006-04-20, 12:50 PM
Thanks for all who replied.

bradynjulie
2010-01-05, 06:06 PM
Can anyone tell me how to do this in AutoCad Arcitecture 2008. It's all I've got :( and I've been struggling for two days trying to add the second floor with this type of roof on my self planned/self build home design.

CelesteBancos
2016-02-23, 07:15 PM
I got it to work using slope arrows! The second arrow that defines the slope of the upper portion of the roof can't be floating in the middle of the boundary sketch because it needs to start at a boundary. But when I drew it on top of the side boundary line (the one that becomes the rake) it worked just fine!

patricks
2016-02-23, 08:42 PM
I got it to work using slope arrows! The second arrow that defines the slope of the upper portion of the roof can't be floating in the middle of the boundary sketch because it needs to start at a boundary. But when I drew it on top of the side boundary line (the one that becomes the rake) it worked just fine!

Can you show a screen shot of how you did it? I tried to replicate something based on your description but it doesn't work.

PijPiwo
2016-02-24, 03:54 AM
Patrick, take a look at the pix.

CelesteBancos
2016-02-24, 06:07 PM
Yup, PijPiwo's picture shows how I did it.

patricks
2016-02-25, 07:53 PM
oh pshhh duh, I tried something similar but forgot to split the line into separate segments for each slope arrow.