PDA

View Full Version : Area Schedules not reading rooms

crarchitect
2006-04-16, 09:03 PM
Hello Revit Community, Happy Easter,

Apologies for the dumb question, but...

Why are my area schedules not reading my rooms? I have floorplans with Rooms, Room Tags showing Area, I even created Area Plans. But my Area Schedules are still blank? No rooms will show up? I have even tried this in a test project with no worksets or phases. I am getting the same problem.

What the heck am I missing? I have created Room Area schedules before with no problem? Does this have something to do with 9.0 Room function? I have a feeling there is a basic error in my method somewhere. Please send help before I go crazy.

Thank you for any advice.

crarchitect
2006-04-16, 10:42 PM
OKAY. So it seems that there are some important differences between Room Shedule and Area Schedule. This I will now attempt to decipher.

At least I now have a Room Schedule working. If anyone has any wisdom about where I got sideways, I am all ears.

THANKS,

cphubb
2006-04-16, 11:51 PM
Areas and rooms are totally unrelated. Areas show in area plans with area boundaries and area tags. Rooms show in general floor plans and use room Tags. If working on area plans such as Rentable vs. common area use the area plans.
Also note that rooms can only display net area. Area plans have the ability to display net and gross areas.

neb1998
2006-04-17, 12:11 AM
Make sure you have the phase of the schedule setup correctly...rooms are now based on the phase in which they are created in, there does not appear to be away to change the phase once its created...but make sure the schedule is on the same phase as the room

Steve Cashman
2006-04-17, 09:28 PM
Make sure you have the phase of the schedule setup correctly...rooms are now based on the phase in which they are created in, there does not appear to be away to change the phase once its created...but make sure the schedule is on the same phase as the room
I take it that this is new to Revit 9. I was baffled on a project that I just opened in Revit 9 where I couldn't get the room schedule to show any rooms. The phases will come in handy. We do a lot of renovation and remodeling work and to have rooms in phases will really help.

crarchitect
2006-04-17, 09:52 PM
Thank you for the responses. My initial error was the creating the Area Schedule (showing rooms) vs. Room Schedule (showing areas.) Is that as clear to you as it was confusing to me? In the past I have done true Area Plans, but that is a different story...

Anyhow, this project has no phases, yet. But I appreciate the tip. We have had plenty of phase mismatch errors creep into our projects as they evolve. Just about the only safe way to work in a multi-phase project is to do all day to day project modeling work in a final working phase called Management (Rumple, et. al. 2005) which lives at the end of all the other phases. That way all our working sections, etc, don't keep showing up in CD views.

Thanks again for the tips!

Steve_Stafford
2006-04-18, 06:48 AM
I take it that this is new to Revit 9. I was baffled on a project that I just opened in Revit 9 where I couldn't get the room schedule to show any rooms. The phases will come in handy. We do a lot of renovation and remodeling work and to have rooms in phases will really help.Rooms have always been phase aware (well at least for several releases...). They remain so in 9.

In the past when you placed rooms into an existing phase and then changed the view to the next phase Revit would complain about the tags being for a previous phase and then ask if you wanted to copy them to the new phase or delete them. Now they just don't show up and remain in the earlier phase. Switching a view from one phase to another doesn't generate any error message anymore.

To REUSE an existing room in a newer phase, copy then paste it into the newer view. If you need to MOVE it out of an existing phase, cut then paste. You can go either direction.

Regarding the schedule and not seeing rooms, the commercial and residential templates have three phases defined, Existing, New Construction and Project Completion. When creating schedules they default to the last phase. The views however are all set to New Construction so adding rooms to the project means they are one phase earlier than the schedule will default to. Taking notice of the phase of the schedule when you make it avoids the gnashing of teeth when no rooms appear.

Kind of like the panic you might feel after spending four hours massing up a project and opening the file the next morning and finding no massing in the file because massing is off when you open a project by default. :smile:

Steve Cashman
2006-04-18, 09:59 AM
Steve,

Thanks for the explanation. I think the new Rooms will work more easily for us.