PDA

View Full Version : Metric W shape beams under 200mm deep

Wes Macaulay
2006-04-17, 04:34 PM
Just a note: the family M_W-Wide Flange.rfa seems to have a bug in that beams under 200mm in depth will not sit at their proper height. This behaviour will be found in the 8.1 and 9.0 versions of this family. The beam will say that its height is 0 above the level, but graphically shows well below the level (37mm for the 150mm deep beam).

Tom Weir
2006-04-17, 04:47 PM
Wes,
Thanks for the heads up...I just replicated the error myself.

Tom Weir
Los Angeles

Paul Andersen
2006-04-17, 04:52 PM
Wes, it could be the same problem I found and posted about Here (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=29157). I don't have the metric content installed so I can't check at the moment. Long story short, the reference line associated with the angle parameter was too long / tall in several imperial steel families causing the member to be held down from the level. I think I submitted a support request on this issue but will have to see if I can dig it up.

Wes Macaulay
2006-04-17, 05:29 PM
Thanks Tom and Paul -- I've submitted a bug report for this family. In the meantime using the Imperial family with the values needed for a metric beam will do just fine; the bug doesn't appear to affect the imperial version.

Paul Andersen
2006-04-18, 01:59 AM
Wes, I had a chance to load the metric content. It is the same reference line that I've had issues with on smaller imperial members. Try this. Place a W130x28.1 in your project. Select the member and hit Edit Family in the options bar. In the 3d family editor view that opens you will see the reference line that causes the member to hold down from it's placed level / workplane, standing proud, in the center of the member. In this family's case the offending reference line is 90mm long. It will therefore cause an issue with any member whose overall depth is less than 180mm. Simply shorten this reference line so that it's height is less than half of the overall depth of your smallest member and you are good to go. I've attached a repaired version for you to test with the reference line shortened to 5mm.

Steven Campbell
2006-04-18, 01:51 PM
Wes, I had a chance to load the metric content. It is the same reference line that I've had issues with on smaller imperial members. Try this. Place a W130x28.1 in your project. Select the member and hit Edit Family in the options bar. In the 3d family editor view that opens you will see the reference line that causes the member to hold down from it's placed level / workplane, standing proud, in the center of the member. In this family's case the offending reference line is 90mm long. It will therefore cause an issue with any member whose overall depth is less than 180mm. Simply shorten this reference line so that it's height is less than half of the overall depth of your smallest member and you are good to go. I've attached a repaired version for you to test with the reference line shortened to 5mm.Paul is correct the reference line in the family that helps with rotation of the course rep is the issue. The bounding box does not ignore the reference line, though it should. The fix as Paul stated is to shorten the reference line. Both bug have been filed. Thanks for pointing it out.

Steven Campbell
Autodesk Revit

Wes Macaulay
2006-04-18, 03:07 PM
Faaaabulous gentlemen -- and good catch Paul!