PDA

View Full Version : mirroring a project

Bim Man
2004-05-14, 12:26 PM
can revit mirror a project? i work for a semi custom home builder (150 -180 homes a year) and some of our homes need to flipped or mirrored from a garage right house to a garage left house.

rhys
2004-05-14, 01:54 PM
Not straight off but do a search for mirror and project on this site and you'll find several threads on how and what can be done. I do lots of mirrored row houses and I just mirror the shell and write handed on the site plan!!

bobo
2004-05-15, 05:26 AM
what exactly constitutes mirrored. I mean you can simply mirror the file as a linked file and then work on it, is this not a reasonable approach.. or are we talking mirroring the whole documented project with notes dims etc..?.. just curious

beegee
2004-05-15, 06:33 AM
Doing a search on "Mirror" in ZDBB yields 66 hits.

Mirroring has differing requirements for different users, ranging from the simple, easily handled situations to the complex - mirror everthing (including text, annotations, maintaining references and scheduling )

The factory is aware of users needs in this regard.

Bim Man
2004-05-18, 01:16 PM
bobo,

i was meaning the later. the whole project. it is a little frustrating wiht all i can do with revit but i still can't flip the handing of the project without doing so kind of work around, a term that i here alot with revit. but i still would not trade it for anything else.

pete

Scott D Davis
2004-05-18, 03:44 PM
When mirroring an entire document set of drawings with plans, notes, dims, etc., imagine what you are asking the software to do? It has to recalculate every point of every piece of geomtetry, text, object, etc. in space.

It would be a huge effort even in AutoCAD to mirror a complete set of plans. Open every sheet, mirror everything, hope it all works out. Especially when using xrefs. Open the xref, mirror it, save it. Hope you got the base point close to what it used to be. Then open the sheet, mirror all the annotations, hope to get them lined up again, 'tweak' the layout to get it all lined up again....

mirroring a complete project is not an easy task in any application.

Bim Man
2004-05-20, 09:50 PM
I KNOW THAT WHEN I WAS LOOKING AT SOFTWARE TO SWITCH TO, ARCHICAD DID IT AND SOFTPLAN DID. BUT WENT WITH REVIT BECAUSE OF EVETHING ELSE THEY DID NOT HAVE. SO I JUST FIGURED THAT REVIT WOULD HAVE IT TOO SOMEDAY. FOR NOW I JUST DO IT THE OLD WAY OF A BIG STAMP THAT SAYS REVERSED PLAN, AND LET THE CONSTRUCTION MGRS. FIGHT IT OUT.

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS I AM NOT YELLING.

PETE

Scott D Davis
2004-05-20, 09:53 PM
I would expect it to be pretty high on the Rev-dev team's list, too.