PDA

View Full Version : Dimension tick marks

matthewh.104177
2006-04-17, 08:01 PM
Hi, Does anyone know how to alter dimension tick marks to column grid lines? I've got a diagonal slash to faces and a dot to centerlines. I'd like a dot to the column grid lines too, but it's using the slash. There doesn't seem to be a parameter for dimensions to select this option.

nrenfro
2006-04-17, 09:22 PM
I ran across this also. hopefully someone will have a solution as like you I would like the dim string to automatically pick up the fact that it is referencing a column line and behave like center line ticks do.

aaronrumple
2006-04-17, 11:37 PM
Snap the dimension to the column - rather than the grid line and you'll have your dots.

cosmickingpin
2006-04-18, 12:41 AM
Say what? You're goofin right?

Snap the dimension to the column - rather than the grid line and you'll have your dots.

What he wants is to have two different end marks in the same dimension, like ticks for building elements, but dots for grids. Nope, Revit can't do that, I have tried. No way to override different end conditions for a dimension, unless there is some 9.0 wizardry I am not aware of.

aaronrumple
2006-04-18, 01:24 PM
Say what? You're goofin right?

What he wants is to have two different end marks in the same dimension, like ticks for building elements, but dots for grids. Nope, Revit can't do that, I have tried. No way to override different end conditions for a dimension, unless there is some 9.0 wizardry I am not aware of.
That's exactly what I was refering to.
You can set your dimension to apply ticks when dimensioning edges and then a dot for centerlines. The centerline is defined by the ref. planes which define the origin in a family. Column grid lines do not define a center, that is true. Maybe they should, but that's another discussion. However, if you place the dimension on the column on the grid - rather than the grid itself, you'll get the same effect as if the grid line was a center. See attached.

matthewh.104177
2006-04-18, 01:53 PM
Thanks, I didn't think of going to the columns themselves.

cosmickingpin
2006-04-18, 03:17 PM
[kneeling before the master] "I aint worthy!" Missed that option till now, looks like 8.1 had it, was it 8.0 then? Well I am going to use that all the time now. Thanks Aaron.

You can set your dimension to apply ticks when dimensioning edges and then a dot for centerlines. The centerline is defined by the ref. planes which define the origin in a family. Column grid lines do not define a center, that is true. Maybe they should, but that's another discussion. However, if you place the dimension on the column on the grid - rather than the grid itself, you'll get the same effect as if the grid line was a center. See attached.

david_peterson
2006-04-25, 04:23 AM
You can set your dimension to apply ticks when dimensioning edges and then a dot for centerlines. The centerline is defined by the ref. planes which define the origin in a family. Column grid lines do not define a center, that is true. Maybe they should, but that's another discussion. However, if you place the dimension on the column on the grid - rather than the grid itself, you'll get the same effect as if the grid line was a center. See attached.Aaron,
Will this also work for beams in plan? Or on the detail side, centerline of bolt, x|x axis of an angle (which isn't then center, or middle).... I'm sure I can think of more examples. But thanks for the great tip on cols. Thanks again.