PDA

View Full Version : imported dwg and sections

thewool
2006-04-17, 10:02 PM
We are considering changing to revit and are wondering:
If you import a 3D dwg from 3dsmax (mainly meshes, not nurbs) into revit, can a section using the revit section tool be generated in revit? I have tried this in archicad and it works perfectly. I can't seem to do it in Revit. This is a big problem.

greg.mcdowell
2006-04-17, 10:34 PM
you'll need to import it during the creation of a Family (probably "in place" for what you're doing)

tomnewsom
2006-04-18, 11:09 AM
Create an in place family of a type that is cut by sections (eg. wall) and import your dwg into that family. We use this technique to import 3d city models. Unfortunately, you lose the live update of genuine links, but the city shouldn't change much during the project :)

SkiSouth
2006-04-18, 11:24 AM
We are considering changing to revit and are wondering:
If you import a 3D dwg from 3dsmax .
Yes. As stated above, use a family. Most of the vehicles you see in a rendering are imported 3d Autocad Drawing files.

that being said, you are talking building sections. If you are trying to coordinate and link MAX object types as Revit wall types, that's not going to happen - I'm impressed if that is what you say Archicad does. (really hard to believe). The BIM information would require an awesome AI link for a computer to know that a extruded loft was really a fascia cap wall sweep. Just don't see it happening.

AP23
2006-04-18, 12:08 PM
Yes. As stated above, use a family. Most of the vehicles you see in a rendering are imported 3d Autocad Drawing files.

that being said, you are talking building sections. If you are trying to coordinate and link MAX object types as Revit wall types, that's not going to happen - I'm impressed if that is what you say Archicad does. (really hard to believe). The BIM information would require an awesome AI link for a computer to know that a extruded loft was really a fascia cap wall sweep. Just don't see it happening.

If you put the extruded loft in a fascia layer in 3ds max, Archicad could recognize it at as being a fascia cap wall sweep. Who knows.