PDA

View Full Version : Options Revisited

stuntmonkee
2006-04-17, 11:33 PM
A while back we had this discussion.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=118716#post118716

The project had pushed it's way through by the time I made it back, and the topic of options had been pushed aside.

Now we have a NEW project, and the idea of options has come up again.

Now based off of what I have read, and experimented with, here is my conclusion.

Let me start off with saying this. I have found this to be one of the more complicated puzzles in the Revit world. With that, I could be very wrong about some of this, or simply could be on the wrong page or book for that matter. Additionally, with it being that complicated (for me), I find it had to commit my office to using an idea that will only lead to frustration and more confusion. . .IE, is it worth the short cut if you have to sort though 1000 keys to open the door? Either way, excuse me if some of this isn't very clear.

let's begin!

It is possible to use options in the sense of a "room addition" or "added fireplace" or any other floor plan design. But here are the limitations.

1. You can not have sub options. For example. In the posted files, we have a standard single story plan. With that plan there in an option to have a basement (do-able), but in that basement there is an option to have a Guest Suite (shown), or a 2 Bedroom plan. The reason for this limitation is that we dont have the ability to display different "Option SETS" in a given view, and can only change the primary "Option" of that "Option SET" to effect the visibility. Which leads me to the question of what the visibility tab is for under the view properties/visibility/options

My only reach in order to accomplish this you would have to redraw the entire basement, and place both basements under the same option set as the rest of the model. . .meaning even moving one wall would have you create an entire new level.

2. A wall that is attached to one option at the base or top can not attach to another object (roof) in a different option. Meaning every exterior wall that is effected by one option must remain in that option, and a new wall must be created that attaches to the new option. . .this includes any door, windows, shelf&pole, tub or any other object attached to that wall that is attached to that roof.

This is a little more understanding in the simple fact that there are an infinite set of possibilities.

Conclusion:
And maybe this has already been discussed and decided in the past. . .but I didn't see it.

The idea of options in Revit is more limited to a SD phase & at a reach a DD phase, but by the time you get to Cd's the use of options must be kept to basic plan adjustments or other instances where the effect of that option isn't felt by near by objects. Meaning adding an uncovered deck or a dormer is do-able, but covered porch with a room addition that changes the roof line, moves 2 windows, and changes the material of the adjacent wall is a bit much. Might be possible. . .but seems a bit messy at best

As a disclaimer, I would have been blown away if a program could give me the "Ideal" lay out, and even the close would be awesome. And this isn't a post for complaining or pointing out flaws as much as it is to see if there is an easier way to attach some of these problems.

I am about to tackle 8 different design lay outs. All of which will have 2 different elevation personalities, all will have the option to have a basement, and 4 of those will have a 2nd story if they dont have the basement. . .and ALL the plans will have other options such as a fire places all the way to a bedroom/3rd garage.

One of my simple ways of showing some optional ideas is to simply demolish them, and that works pretty well, but I suppose it would be nice if there was an additional tool for something like this instead of changing its phase to demolished.

The more I dig into this, it's seems like Revit might actually make this more difficult, or complicated for the simple fact that with AutoCAD you would just draw the alternate elevation or plan next to it, and tag the door or window the same, and move on. Where as with Revit, the effect of wanting to show a "shifted" wall with a door or window ripples to far though the project. Which is great for a straight forward plan. But as you can see, with the possibility of 32+ plans wish similar minor options though out, but all need to maintain the same scheduling info. . .

Anyway, hope that makes sense. Any ideas & thoughts are extremely welcome.

Thanks
Stunts.

Kirk Bricker
2006-04-19, 12:39 PM
This method might be a Revit out there idea, but I will make a stab.

One method that you could try is to decide which objects are not going to change at all in all of the design options, and create a Revit file for these. Than create a new Revit file with the linked .rvt file from the primary objects that do not change in all of the designs. Umm than try and create phases or additional design options from there in the new file.

I hope this helps..

irwin
2006-04-22, 03:48 PM
1. You can not have sub options. For example. In the posted files, we have a standard single story plan. With that plan there in an option to have a basement (do-able), but in that basement there is an option to have a Guest Suite (shown), or a 2 Bedroom plan. The reason for this limitation is that we dont have the ability to display different "Option SETS" in a given view, and can only change the primary "Option" of that "Option SET" to effect the visibility. Which leads me to the question of what the visibility tab is for under the view properties/visibility/options

My only reach in order to accomplish this you would have to redraw the entire basement, and place both basements under the same option set as the rest of the model. . .meaning even moving one wall would have you create an entire new level.

I don't quite follow what you are saying here, but you definitely can display different Option Sets in a given view. In view visibility you can specify for each Option Set which Option should be displayed. This can include secondary options. You don't have to make an option primary in order to display it. That is the reason for having options in the view visibility tab -- so that you can show secondary options without making them primary.

2. A wall that is attached to one option at the base or top can not attach to another object (roof) in a different option. Meaning every exterior wall that is effected by one option must remain in that option, and a new wall must be created that attaches to the new option. . .this includes any door, windows, shelf&pole, tub or any other object attached to that wall that is attached to that roof.

One way to minimize this problem is to split the wall. For example, if you have a wall that will be attached to different roofs in different options, split the wall into a lower part that is the same (so it doesn't have to be added to the option set) and an upper part just below the roof line that is different in the two options. That way only windows and doors very near the roof line will have to be included in the option set.

By the way, if you have a tub or other object that is attached to the wall but that doesn't cut the wall, it doesn't have to be added to the option set even if the wall is (provided that the two walls have the same horizontal position).