PDA

View Full Version : Internal shadows incorrect?

Exar Kun
2006-04-18, 12:47 AM
I want to see the impact of shadows from an internal view so have setup a camera inside. However, no matter what time I set, the internal view is always totally in shadow. The attached two images are using the same time and as you can see, there should be light penetration along the right hand side of the internal view. Any ideas?

BWG
2006-04-18, 01:16 AM
Does the relative to view check box at the sun settings change this behavoir any?

SCShell
2006-04-18, 02:02 AM
Hey there,
It may have to do with the fact that you are comparing a 3D isometric and a camera generated perspective rather than "interior" vs "exterior" view. Try an exterior camera view from a similar vantage point to see if this is the case.

Camera views are very different from 3D isometrics in a lot of ways. Maybe this is just another one of those differences.

Good Luck
Steve

Exar Kun
2006-04-18, 03:27 AM
Does the relative to view check box at the sun settings change this behavoir any?

I'm using the actual location instead of directly so that option is greyed. In any case it makes no difference. :)

Hey there,
It may have to do with the fact that you are comparing a 3D isometric and a camera generated perspective rather than "interior" vs "exterior" view. Try an exterior camera view from a similar vantage point to see if this is the case.

Camera views are very different from 3D isometrics in a lot of ways. Maybe this is just another one of those differences.

Good Luck
Steve

This is a camera located just outside - as you can see it exhibits the correct behaviour - not sure what to do now. So it's a bug? Do I just give up?

aaronrumple
2006-04-18, 01:28 PM
I'm using the actual location instead of directly so that option is greyed. In any case it makes no difference. :)

This is a camera located just outside - as you can see it exhibits the correct behaviour - not sure what to do now. So it's a bug? Do I just give up?
I was trying to do a solar study on an atrium recently. I got the same reesults. I'd say it is a bug.

tarch
2006-04-18, 02:44 PM
And I would say it isn't new to 9. Had the same issue in 8.1

Nic M.
2006-04-18, 02:55 PM
Same experience here
Cameras placed "indoor" don't show indoor shadows
I think it's always been that way

sfaust
2006-04-18, 03:49 PM
I had this problem earlier and talked to the factory about it. They said that it is a result of the algorithm that figures out the shadows. Basically if the camera falls within a shadow, it messes up the results. Doing an indoor view pretty much always places the camera in shadow, so they really don't work. I wish it would be fixed...

Chad Smith
2006-04-18, 08:36 PM
I had the same issues in 8.1 too.
My examples were when I placed a camera in the shadow of building A and focused on another (building B) which wasn't in shadow, the camera would think the building B was in the shadow too.
I move the camera out of the shadow of building A and then building B would be fine and display shadows correctly.

Merlin
2006-04-19, 04:51 AM
Curious indeed....I hadn't had this trouble before but, thinking about it, I couldn't remember if I'd done an internal shadowed view before......At first, I thought I'd heard about this and that it was due to the Glass component in windows needing to be invisible. I did a quick knock up to experiment and the first result (see image 1) was fine; I changed a wall to a storefront and (see image 2) now look at it!.....light bands showing in shadows when there is absolutely NO openings!....hmmmm,,,,.......curious indeed!

John Mc

Martin P
2006-06-19, 02:48 PM
aggghhhh!!!!.... just found this thread. We have promised our client a solar study of the inside of his new swimming pool building, I was blathering on about it would be great for him to see this, and how Revit 9.0 has just added the function - now I am going to look rather stupid telling him and my boss I (Revit that is) infact cannot do what I promised, please tell tell me there was a solution to this? If not - this is a Massive bug in the Solar study function, this should be fixed urgently!!

dhurtubise
2006-06-19, 07:25 PM
Export your model to Viz 1/ Max and do it there. Even AutoCAD 2007 will do it

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-19, 09:11 PM
i export to viz all the time. Since i started using it before REVIT, i find it easier to use, and have more options and better control in there. I find that it is worth the investement.

Justin

bclarch
2006-06-20, 08:24 PM
Is this just an issue in "hidden line" views or does it render incorrectly as well?

dbaldacchino
2006-06-21, 01:50 AM
Good point and question Robert, I think it's just a shaded view issue. I think it should render correctly in Revit, although I'm not 100% sure.