PDA

View Full Version : Importing AutoCAD problems

patricks
2006-04-18, 02:46 PM
I guess this is going to need someone proficient in both Revit and AutoCAD to help me out here.

I have some equipment layouts from a consultant done in AutoCAD, and all I have in the AutoCAD file is the model layout, with nothing set up in paper space (not his company's logo or anything).

Now he sent me another sheet that was just a schedule and his logo, both done in paper space, and when I imported that to place on our titleblock, it came in fine.

So I took his company's logo, copied it, set up a sheet in paper space for the equipment layout, pasted his company logo onto that sheet, and then adjusted the viewport to get the model space elements to the correct scale, etc. I saved that file in the paper space view (model viewport and company logo), went over to Revit and imported that file into a sheet view, and it gave me a warning saying some elements were lost during import, and the only thing that made it was that company logo which was pasted onto the paper space. I got nothing at all of the model elements with the equipment layout.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?

dnilsson
2006-04-18, 03:54 PM
I think Revit looks at paper space first and inserts whatever it finds drawn there EXCEPT it ignores the viewports, which strikes me as pointless since virtually all paper space layouts use viewports (I understand why it does this, since there is no equivalent to PS/MS in Revit, I just wish it gave you the option of which you wanted to insert). If there is nothing in paperspace, it pops up a box asking if you want to look in model space. Click yes and you get all the contents of model space.

The solution for getting sheets in is to copy the paper space elements into MS (deleting them from PS) and scale them up, then arrange everything the way it appeared in PS.

tonyisenhoff
2006-04-18, 04:11 PM
Within AutoCAD (using the Express tools), there is a tool called CHSPACE (going from memory here) that will move objects from a paper space (layout) for Model space. That may automate a bit...

Give that a shot...

dgreen.49364
2006-04-18, 06:52 PM
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish in the end...are you simply re-creating his sheets in Revit? If so, why?

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I just don't understand.

Joef
2006-04-18, 07:28 PM
If you just want a copy of his sheet in your set, it might be easier to create a jpg file and place that onto a sheet. Hard to say as it's not clear what you're trying to accomplish.

Joe

patricks
2006-04-18, 08:33 PM
If you just want a copy of his sheet in your set, it might be easier to create a jpg file and place that onto a sheet. Hard to say as it's not clear what you're trying to accomplish.

Joe

Yeah that's what I ended up doing, I put the model elements onto a sheet, printed a PDF, saved the PDF as a JPG and then put the JPG onto my Revit sheet.

The reason I am doing it is because I was given an AutoCAD file with a layout of equipment on a partial floor plan with nothing else, just the lines in model space, nothing on paper space, and I was wanting to have it all in Revit (I never have really learned how to bring AutoCAD title blocks into an AutoCAD project file).

dgreen.49364
2006-04-18, 09:23 PM
Again, I'm not trying to be a wiseguy, but I don't understand the point of the exercise. If you have a drawing that exists in Autocad, and you go thru the exercise of doing what you did, just to have, in the end, a plotted sheet that is the same as it was in AutoCAD, except now it is in Revit...why?

Why spend the time and effort to recreate the same sheet, only in Revit?

patricks
2006-04-18, 09:36 PM
Again, I'm not trying to be a wiseguy, but I don't understand the point of the exercise. If you have a drawing that exists in Autocad, and you go thru the exercise of doing what you did, just to have, in the end, a plotted sheet that is the same as it was in AutoCAD, except now it is in Revit...why?

Why spend the time and effort to recreate the same sheet, only in Revit?

As I said, to have it on our titleblock.

The AutoCAD drawing has no titleblock, and I never learned how to bring an AutoCAD titleblock into an AutoCAD file where there was not one before.

I tried simply importing the AutoCAD model into Revit, but a bunch of extraneous lines were showing up, and I also needed to crop it down, which I did in AutoCAD by placing it on a sheet layout with the view port.

dgreen.49364
2006-04-18, 09:41 PM
Ok, I missed the titleblock part. Sorry.

BWG
2006-04-18, 10:34 PM
Export you Revit title block to DWG and open in ACAD. Put the title block on the layout the way you want it and save as a DWT file. Then anytime you get a consultants work, you can use that DWT as default and it will be there. That is, if you want to go through the trouble of plotting from ACAD.

patricks
2006-04-19, 12:51 AM
Export you Revit title block to DWG and open in ACAD. Put the title block on the layout the way you want it and save as a DWT file. Then anytime you get a consultants work, you can use that DWT as default and it will be there. That is, if you want to go through the trouble of plotting from ACAD.

heh not really... that's why I wanted it all in Revit, plot all from the same program. :)