PDA

View Full Version : Model Lines vs Detail lines

tbarnesarc
2006-04-19, 12:08 AM
Why are "lines" kept under model categories only in Visibility Graphics? Shouldn't model lines be kept under model categories and detail lines kept under Annotation categories? Just a thought.

mibzim
2006-04-19, 12:22 AM
i second that motion

irwin
2006-04-22, 04:01 PM
Why are "lines" kept under model categories only in Visibility Graphics? Shouldn't model lines be kept under model categories and detail lines kept under Annotation categories? Just a thought.
Revit makes a distinction between detail objects and annotation objects. Although detail objects such as detail lines and detail components are 2d, they can be thought of as an actual geometrical representation of geometry in the building. Annotation objects are just explanation that appears on paper but do not represent actual model geometry. The two behave differently when you change the view scale: detail objects keep their size, since they represent actual geometry while Annotation objects adjust so that their size on the plotted page remains the same. There are also differences regarding line weights.

Detail lines and detail components are detail objects -- they retain their size when you change the view scale -- so they are both in the model tab in Visibility/Graphics. Things under the annotation tab all adjust their sizes when you change the view scale.

tbarnesarc
2006-04-25, 07:23 PM
I still think it should be organized as I stated above.

clarkitekt
2006-04-25, 10:17 PM
Taylor,
I agree. At the very least, Detail Lines and Model Lines should be grouped seperately. I have tried to explain the difference to several people in the office several times and they still don't quite get it.

I also think that the Model and Detail line types should be a completely different set (ie, your detail line types wouldn't be listed with model types). Since the model line category will actually exist in the model, they would tend to be named for what they actually are, like "Control Joint" where Detail Lines exist just in a view they would tend to be more generic, like the Revit defaults of Medium, Heavy, Light.