PDA

View Full Version : Best practice upgrade process to new releases

david_spehar
2006-04-19, 02:24 PM
My office currently has about 20 architects on Revit Building 8.1 and 6 structural engineers on Revit Structure 2. We plan on putting another 20+ MEP engineers on Revit Systems when it is available. I'm looking for input on the following questions.

1. If we upgrade to RS 3 do we need to upgrade to RB 9 at the same time (and vise versa)?

2. It is my understanding through our I.T. guy that we must uninstall the current Revit version and then perform a complete install of the new version on each user's PC. With the number of stations we're running (and anticipate running more) this takes a long, long time. Does a complete uninstall/install need to be done or are we missing something? Can the new just be installed over the existing like most other software packages?

Any help would be much appreciated.

patricks
2006-04-19, 02:40 PM
We've never had a problem installing a newer version alongside a previous version. I usually will keep the previous version for awhile, and then after everyone has firmly started working in the new version with all our current projects in the new version, I'll take the older one off.

aaronrumple
2006-04-19, 03:02 PM
All versions of Revit all the way back to the beginning can be installed on the same system.

You will need to have Building and Structure using the same version. In this case it would be 9 and 3. Sure would be nice if they would just sync the numbers.

I just set up one network install. Then provide the users with a link to the setup file. Alternately, IT could push the network install out to all the systems.

We keep most jobs in the version they are started, until I've had a chance to catch up on the admin. for the new release. Then projects are upgraded.

bimologist
2006-04-19, 05:14 PM
My office currently has about 20 architects on Revit Building 8.1 and 6 structural engineers on Revit Structure 2. We plan on putting another 20+ MEP engineers on Revit Systems when it is available. I'm looking for input on the following questions.

1. If we upgrade to RS 3 do we need to upgrade to RB 9 at the same time (and vise versa)?

2. It is my understanding through our I.T. guy that we must uninstall the current Revit version and then perform a complete install of the new version on each user's PC. With the number of stations we're running (and anticipate running more) this takes a long, long time. Does a complete uninstall/install need to be done or are we missing something? Can the new just be installed over the existing like most other software packages?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Just be careful when you do that. When you install it will include some libraries from Revit 8.1 as well for WEbDepot, Accurender and RPC. for some reason on mine it had for additional dirs
Revit9\Data\Materials
then for the other stuff it pointed to 8.1 directories and not 9

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-04-19, 06:57 PM
You can also save time by loading just the program and skipping the content installation. After the program is loaded you can then just copy content to each computers default locations or have content shared from a central location.

cosmickingpin
2006-04-20, 03:12 AM
Aaron is quite correct there. Ran into that brick wall late last week myself.

You will need to have Building and Structure using the same version. In this case it would be 9 and 3. Sure would be nice if they would just sync the numbers.