PDA

View Full Version : Room volume calcs?

truevis
2006-04-19, 04:46 PM
I have an upgraded project (to r9) and some of the rooms calculate volumes correctly and some say 0 CF.

I tried putting ceilings or roofs through the tops of the rooms and even re-inserting a room. Any clues?

sbrown
2006-04-19, 06:46 PM
there is a setting which turns volumes on, it is off by default for performance reasons. I believe its under settings>rooms and areas or something like that. Its just a check box.

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-04-19, 06:54 PM
Probably not a good idea to leave this setting active unless you need your areas to update dynamically. It may cause performance issues because each time the boundaries of a room change (walls, floors or ceilings) revit needs to recalculate volumes.

mtogni
2006-04-20, 06:55 AM
By the way... does anyone know if volume calculated accordingly to roof/slab slope? Thanks.

truevis
2006-04-20, 11:01 AM
there is a setting which turns volumes on, it is off by default for performance reasons. I believe its under settings>rooms and areas or something like that. Its just a check box.
Yes, it's on. You can see, some calculate correctly and some read 0 CF. Don't know if it's a bug or if I'm missing something.

Nic M.
2006-04-20, 11:27 AM
By the way... does anyone know if volume calculated accordingly to roof/slab slope? Thanks.from limited test i did, Yes

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-04-20, 04:39 PM
By the way... does anyone know if volume calculated accordingly to roof/slab slope? Thanks.The room volume is calculated based on 'room bounding elements'. These include roofs, walls, floors etc.. In order to calculate volume correctly the room object must extend at least to the highest point of the volume eg on a vaulted ceiling the room object, by default, will go to the next level. You must change its top offset parameter or manually drag it above the apex of the roof plane. It will appear in section as a flat topped volume but will calculate correctly based on the sloped roof objects .

lev.lipkin
2006-04-20, 06:19 PM
In your example some volumes seems ok, so those zero's could be room bounding element too low (at room computation height) or some other issue. Please post simplified model here, or send it through Support. Thanks.

cphubb
2006-04-21, 12:01 AM
There also is apparently an issue with calculating volume beneath the hosting level. This would be a problem for sunken rooms and other rooms with negative floor offsets.