PDA

View Full Version : Revit 9.0 Material Takeoff

Gene Herring
2006-04-19, 07:26 PM
According to the user guide, the new "Material Takeoff" feature in 9.0 will "allow you to create listings of all the sub components or materials of any Revit Building family". Anyone have any luck getting this to work yet?? (sub components!)

dhurtubise
2006-04-19, 07:51 PM
Check if it's what you are looking for

Gene Herring
2006-04-19, 07:57 PM
Hey Thanks guys. This is what I am looking for.

Alvin_Alejandro
2006-04-20, 08:44 AM
Wow...its great

How about floors?

dhurtubise
2006-04-20, 10:18 AM
Works exactly the same

patagoniadave
2006-08-09, 04:54 PM
Wow...its great

How about floors?

Question, for a floor with multiple surface finishes i.e. v.c.t. or c.t or carpet, is it best to make individual floors, a solid subloor with inividual mini floors drawn on top in order to get the finishes, or is there another option I am not aware of like splitting the floor like I can split a wall. Thanks all

dhurtubise
2006-08-09, 06:07 PM
We do 2 floors, one structural that usualy goes arounf the whole level. On top of it we add our floor finishes. This way we got decent looking section and more precise schedule that are easy to manage. if the same room contain more then one fichies, simply draw both.

hand471037
2006-08-09, 06:24 PM
We do 2 floors, one structural that usualy goes arounf the whole level. On top of it we add our floor finishes. This way we got decent looking section and more precise schedule that are easy to manage. if the same room contain more then one fichies, simply draw both.

This makes it easy to manage different finish thicknesses (carpet to wood, for example) on top of a common sub-floor or slab. It's a little more time consuming to model floors this way but it can be useful.

Careful with the material take-off schedule. It reports the areas of things, however, that sometimes can be the *surface* area of something. So, for example, if you make a fabric-covered wall panel, that's just a wall-hosted extrusion set to be fabric, and then report the area of it's material for a take-off schedule, it will report both the outside face of the fabric (what you want) and the backside of the fabric (the part that's facing the wall). So sometimes you'll need to halve the value you're getting from the takeoff schedule. Test it with a simple bit first, you'll see what I mean.

Ive found it invaluable in doing preliminary costs for the custom interiors we're doing with the CNC routing table. I can model something (like a reception desk) as a big in-place family, set the proper materials, and then do a take-off schedule, halve all the numbers, divide by the area of a sheet of plywood, and get a very rough count of how many sheets of plywood it's gonna take to build that element...

aaronrumple
2006-08-09, 06:28 PM
This makes it easy to manage different finish thicknesses (carpet to wood, for example) on top of a common sub-floor or slab. It's a little more time consuming to model floors this way but it can be useful.
I've also found this technique useful for base trim. I do my base trim as a floor slab edge rather than a wall sweep. It is faster to place all the trim and is easily scheduled. If I can ever get our ID staff to use Revit - then I can just assign these finish layers of floor to their worksets along with the base trim.