PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help placing walls (dimensions)

max
2004-05-17, 03:04 PM
I am trying out the demo of 6.1. I have tried everything I can think of to place the walls as shown in the attached jpg file. I can not get the dimensions to come out right on the 45 degree walls. I even created a wall with just a 4" core, but still could not get the angled walls to come out with the desired dimensions shown on the jpg file.

Could some one please tell me how to do this? I am used to doing this in ADT. In ADT I can enter the cordinates for the wall and adjust from there.

Thanks for any help

I can't get the file to attach. Do you have to get permission to add attachments?

Scott D Davis
2004-05-17, 03:34 PM
Max,

attach your image file using the "Add an Attachment" button. Then we can check it out for you.

max
2004-05-17, 04:11 PM
Here is attachment

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-05-17, 04:18 PM
When using the dimension tool you can cycle through the available points/lines to dimension to by using the tab key. Hit tab until the end points of the lines are highlighted, then click to set your dimension. To dimension the angled walls pick a horizontal or vertical line first, then tab to select the end point of the line.
HTH

max
2004-05-17, 04:22 PM
dimensioning is not the problem. Getting the walls in the right place is the problem.

Thanks

Scott D Davis
2004-05-17, 04:29 PM
Not exactly sure what you mean. In the image above, you have drawn lines representing your walls. Do you want this line to be the 'outside' face of your walls? If so, you can change the placement of walls from Wall Centerline to Core centeline, or exterior face, core face, etc., by changing the Loc Line (location line) in the options bar at the top after selecting the wall tool.

You can also select the first point of a line, then move the cursor until the temp dim reads 45 degrees, then type in your distance.

HTH!

sbrown
2004-05-17, 05:38 PM
For angled walls you will just sketch in the wall at the 45 degree angle, then place your dimension, lets say its off by 2 1/2". just pick the wall, click the move tool and start to drag in the direction it needs to go to correct the dimension and then just type in 2 1/2". Now you should have your wall in the right place.

Note that you cannot dimension to any points other than the exterior or interior faces. This is a know limitation.

Steve Jager
2004-05-17, 06:20 PM
Where your angled walls meet each other at a 45 try using the miter tool on them first. It changes the default from butt to mitered.

max
2004-05-17, 09:28 PM
Thanks all! I will work at it some more.